Last minute Christmas trip...Sangalaki????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just a note, there is a new Maratua Paradise Resort....resort on stilts, a la Sipadan Water Village type. Vis is generally better the further u go, Maratua being the furthest.

As for Sep being the best season, one diver from my group happened to be one of the rare few who didn't see mantas becos she opt out the first dive. We saw only 1 manta out of 6 dives in Sangalaki. Talk about luck of the draw.

kthan,

Thanks...I'm leaning towards Palau now, weather should be a bit more dependable and I can get there easier.

Cheers,
Drew

yep, saw your post in myy local forum....FINS

I was there close to Christmas one time, it rained rained rained and rained!!!!

But since I am wet already, it does not really matter.

But if the waves and wind gets too big, they will not let the boats out, and you are stranded.

Sangalaki is not a very clean place, but it is quite prestine.

The reef is in great shape, and there always are mantas.

There always turtles coming ashore to lay eggs.

There always are turtle hatchlings scampering into the sea.

But the food is not great (unless local dishes) and the team moral is low.

By the way, when it rains like that the VIS really drops to about 10 to 8 feet.

If I had to go to that area during that time, I would pick Derawan. I always can dive from the jetty, plenty to see. Their boats are also designed for heavy seas, so can take the waves better!

When the tide sweeps in from the deep trench near Sangalaki, that is the time to go look for mantas.

At least that is what I am told, by the Sangalaki team, sure enough mantas.

My last trip every manta... something dive had mantas, then again I was following the Sangalaki team.

Once I was with Nabucco and Pak Medi who is one the originals from that area made us wait 2 hours on the surface for the currents to change. Then he said jump in, and sure enough mantas arrived.

So I kind of believe the tidal effect on Mantas in that region.

For Lombok, I went diving with a local fisherman. He somehow knows the schedule of fish, or was bull ****ing me for tips! But he was right on the dot for sharks and mantas.

I forgot to mention, Losmen Danakan on Derawan is expanding its facilities. The guy in charge is Pak Kadek. Remember this is a Losmen, not a hotel.

It has a small dive boat, tanks and compressor. It is a cheap alternative to Derawan Dive Resort.

You know what? Your idea is good. Furthermore, why don't you spend few days in Nabucco, then stop over a couple of days in Sangalaki and end your trip in Derawan? You can arrange everything through one guy: Sastrodiantoro Senoadji (Pak Seno), Email senomentik@indo.net.id. He was my instructor, and deals regularly with all these resorts. He will take care of all transfers, bookings, pick ups, etc... all in one package. And by the way, he will not give me anything back for the referral.
Why would you do that? because by staying a few days in each place, you will increase your chances to get the best of each, as you mention. The big fishes in Nabucco, the mantas in Sangalaki, and whatever there is in Derawan (I have not been there).
Nabucco is 3hours 1/2 away from Berau (town where you will land wherever you stay). You will be happy to do it on your way in, but on the way out, it is lengthy, especially at 5 AM... Nabucco is a great place, good and friendly management, but only 2 AC bungalow. No beach, no swimming pool, but splendid view from your balcony, just over the water. Porfessionals.
Sangalaki is way below in terms of standards. But all bungalows have AC and you are on a " desert" island, with the white sand, the crystal clear water, and the turtles nesting. This is unique! And for the cockroaches, be realistic, there are everywhere in Indonesia! And 2 dives only with mantas is not enough. You will want more.
Derawan, I don't know, but others seem to have liked the place.
Regarding the sea, it can be rough at that time of the year. And this year, the rainy season is a real one.
Anyway, wherever tou stay, you will have splendid dives. Lucky you!

DO NOT GO WITH SANGALAKI DIVE LODGE

I booked a trip there back in July/August for a trip 2nd week of November. They called me in Tawau (Malaysia) just when I was going to board the ferry to Tarakan (Indonesia) and told me I couldn't go, and asked me to come back next month ( I flew all the way there from Canada!!!)

I will post a comprehensive post of my experience with SDL, but whatever you do, PLEASE do not dive with them. Unless you want to have your dive trip cancelled at the last minute too.

In addition, I ran into a group of Singaporean divers in Phil, and they had very bad experience with SDL as well.

Like I said, I will submit a detailed post on what happened - but you are taking chances when you go with SDL.

All this is very interesting. We checked out Sangalaki and do have it on our Malaysia web site, but all this negative feedback makes us think again. We thought the diving made up for the resort, but maybe they were being kind to us (as agents). I think next we have to check out Derawan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom