Last Train to Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope it's okay post this here, but I bought the book Last Train to Paradise at Shell World in Key Largo earlier this year. If you love the Keys, like me, it is a fantastic, well-researched book about the construction of the first railroads in Florida which were headed up by Henry Flagler. This includes especially the "railroad that crossed the ocean" to Key West.. I promise you'll drive the overseas highway and view the old railway arches in a different light with a greater appreciation of the sacrifice and suffering that make this drive possible today.

Thanks for the recommendation. The construction of the railroad is a deep and interesting topic that had an incredible impact on the development of Florida.

If you find yourself in south Florida again, I’d highly recommend visiting the Flagler museum in Palm Beach. It’s Henry Flagler’s former estate and it has been meticulously kept. They do an excellent job at weaving Mr. Flagler’s business and railroad history into the tours and audio guide. It’s very entertaining.

Aside from the main house, there is an attached large “sunroom” of sorts, where you can view Mr. Flagler’s own personal railcar. (And also indulge in a very nice afternoon tea service)

Thanks @chrisjur! On my next trip, I had planned to visit some historical sites associated with the railroad. The museum sounds like exactly the place I’m looking for.

On my next trip, I had planned to visit some historical sites associated with the railroad.
The south Florida BrightLine train ( www.gobrightline.com ) is now up and running & brand new. You can ride those same historical rails that were built last century. Tickets from Orlando down to Miami start at just $49 and takes about 3hrs and can reach speeds up to 125mph! Most of the train stations have rental car pickup or counters on the street infront of the stations (or Ubers) so you can toss your dive gear and head to the docks or hotel. Schedules and prices are always being updated, but it's about every hour for departure. The trains have wifi, food, beverages. Heard some people are developing "Time Sheets" that you can follow along and you'll know what Kodak moment to look for before it comes into view. I live in Orlando and there is no way I can get to Miami that cheap & fast>>>while asleep-at-the-wheel too.

brightline.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom