Last week off North Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen more nurse sharks than others.

Not really!
On the east end, you have a decent chance of seeing reef sharks. On the north wall, the occasional hammerhead as the one above. I have heard of a few bull/tiger sightings. In +-60 dives in Cayman, I have seen reef sharks once ; that's it!

M.

On every trip we've made to the Caymans since 1989 which is usually at the Brac or Little Cayman we've seen at least one shark per trip. My list is of course not including nurse sharks. At Little Cayman it's almost a sure thing we'll see a Black tip, once we saw a Hammerhead. On the Brac it's been a Black tip, a Lemon, and a Bull. The most common has been Black tip. This is the first time we've been staying on Grand Cayman in over ten years and were lucky enough to have the Hammerhead.

What a big dorsal fin on that shark, I'd probably panic if I saw that fin coming toward me cutting through the water. I'd be lunchette!

Got back from a week there on the 25th. We dove with Neptune's and had a great time, saw 7-8 Eagle Rays but no sharks. We spent one day on the East end with Ocean Frontiers and as soon as we dropped in for our first dive I spotted two ~8' Black Tip Reef Sharks. They hung around for most of our dive cruising back and forth until one camera happy dude on the boat decided to swim after them for a closer picture - then they were gone. Didn't see any more in the 3 other dives w/ Ocean Frontiers that day...but it was great to see the two!

To the OP - Casey was talking about the Hammerhead on the 18th when we dove with them. We dove 3 days with them, all on the North Wall - enjoyed Blue Peter site the most of all but Eagle Ray pass was nice too. Very good op that as others have said would pretty much leave you alone once they knew you weren't a catastrophe under water! But safe and let you dive your own profile.

Hey, Casey,

You didn't find any hammerheads for us! Oh, well. We'll give you another chance next April!

DS

Just got back from a week on GC. I would have loved to see one of the those beauties!

The day we dove Eagle Ray Pass I wasn't even lucky enough to see any Eagles. Still an amazing dive, though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom