Late September/Early October trip to Japan - Dive Ogasawara Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neshma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im going ot be in Japan from mid september at least until mid-october before I meet my girlfriend and head north into the country and id love to see what the diving is like in Japan. Id rather the more tropical end of the country (Im pretty thin i tend to get cold really easily and eat through my O2 pretty quick).

Doing abit of research it sounds like Ogasawara would be a fantastic place to dive though im still unsure if you can actually stay on the islands or if you need to find a liveaboard heading that way?

Other suggestions I recieved are the Izu islands and Okinawa. Id love any local knowledge and suggestions. Id call myself an intermediate rec diver, have about 80 dives under my belt and wreck/deep/nitrox specs. Id love somewhere tropical and chilled out where I can dive by day and kick back in the evenings and write.

I had noticed it is also Typhoon season, is that going to change things? Any suggestions would be grand thank you everyone!

M

Mid Sept to October is typhoon season for us here in Japan. Its summer time so the water is warm even up in Izu. Here in Okinawa water temps are 28-30 depending on the site while Izu will be a bit chillier. Ogasawara is great diving but getting there is a challenge as you have to take a 25hour from Tokyo to get there and you have to stay a week as the ferry only goes once a week.

In Okinawa there is great beach and boat diving easily around the island. There is also a vast array of hotels and hostels to fit any budget.

Hey thank you very much thats really helpful! Im a pretty thin guy so I tend to get cold pretty easily, Okinawa sounds like the best place for me! Being Typhoon season what do you think of going in mid/late september? Is typhoon season intense enough to stop you diving from Okinawa?

Thank you for all your help :)

We dive year round here. Typhoon season is great diving when there isn't a storm. Storms only last a day or two normally so not a problem for people that are staying longer.

In summer, ogasawara has two boats a week. Seen the distance and the effort to get there (no airplanes), it is a bit of a pricey destination, but generally well worth it.... Tickets sell out fast, it's highly popular.

I dive in Izu a lot and there are several clubs in Tokyo that head there in the weekends as well as the nearby oshima island (limited weekends).

Weather is highly unpredictable so it is unable to say if in your holiday week there will be a typhoon or not. Even when it passes, it will affect visibility. I do recommend hopping on a low cost carrier plane (Jetstar) and visit Ishigaki due to its manta cleaning station.... But most of the Kerama islands are nice to visit with Zamami in my mind. Look up Reefencounters if you stay on main island Naha and Umicoza for Ishigaki island.

Then again, diving in Izu means being able to stay in Tokyo and in case of a typhoon, having plenty of other things to do. Take your pick. Izu is not Okinawa though but if conditions are good, there is stuff to see.

Cheers

June is known as rainy season.

The typhoon season in Japan runs from May through October, with most activity from July to September. I would say September can be a peak.

I'm going with some people to Ogasawara in August if that is what you're looking for.

Cheers

Looks like I'll be going to Japan in July. I'll be in Tokyo (Hiro-o). Is there any diving nearby that be worth going to?

June is known as rainy season.

The typhoon season in Japan runs from May through October, with most activity from July to September. I would say September can be a peak.

I'm going with some people to Ogasawara in August if that is what you're looking for.

Cheers

I definitely will be going in early June 2017. Can you get me any info on the best dive operations (who speak some English..) on the island? Best lodging too!

Thanks!

I definitely will be going in early June 2017. Can you get me any info on the best dive operations (who speak some English..) on the island? Best lodging too!

Thanks!

I am trying to find more English support but unfortunately the general rule is, no English support.

Happy to help out if you shoot me a msg
DiveZone Tokyo - Contact page

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom