Latest Eastport bottle treasures. (+imgs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adshepard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove up in Eastport, Maine Friday, Saturday and Sunday and came away with some nice bottles.

This first one is about 10 inches tall and heavy as sin, especially when filled with mud and stones. I believe it is a ginger beer bottle from the late 1800's. I found it on my second dive on Friday about five or so minutes in to the dive. Not wanting to lose it I had to lug it and my camera around the entire dive. I suppose I could have put it in a safe place and retrieved it but the viz wasn't super and I could have spent too much time looking for it again.

5817_1158588822_INGALLS-BROS.jpg

The next three were all together no more than a foot or so apart.

5817_1158588822_beard-mineral-2.jpg

5817_1158588822_CGCo-1.jpg

5817_1158588822_witte-2.jpg

Here is a link to these and other photos:

Bottles

Some exceptional finds! You may want to expand your search of that area, bottle are very social and like to hang out together in the same areas. That area you found them in may have been a dump. Keep up the good work!

octotat:
Some exceptional finds! You may want to expand your search of that area, bottle are very social and like to hang out together in the same areas. That area you found them in may have been a dump. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I highly suspect it was a dumping area. The area is fairly easy to find so I plan on heading to it a number of times to see if I can find more. It may take some digging to unearth more finds.

Definitely dig if in the area if you think you've found everything sitting on the surface. You'll have much more luck letting mother nature do that sort of work for you though, you'll want to hit the area after every good storm and heavy surf that might remove some debris. You'll find that for every storm that buries these things, there is a storm that unearths some. We see a similar pattern in the river we dive for old bottles, except its high river flows that change the surface. We also note, that lots of anchoring by boats seems to change the bottom eddies and that unearths new bottles. I don't have a digital camera, but we found a great bottle last weekend from a brewery that closed over 100 years ago.

And 100 years from now some divers will find Budwiser and Coke cans and post about what a nice find they had. Nice bottles though.

rexco:
And 100 years from now some divers will find Budwiser and Coke cans and post about what a nice find they had. Nice bottles though.

Yesterday's litter is today's artifact!

Awesome finds! Looks like a virgin site possibly. Keep the pictures coming!

Don't suppose you would want some help in muddying the waters -- so to speak? I love to look for old stuff and am doing a bottle dive in the Piscataqua river this weekend with a couple of fellow divers. :D

Great finds by the way and you have a very nice collection going!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom