Lava Tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear:
Hi All, Going on the Kona aggressor next summer. They do some lava tube dives.
Should these dives be treated as cavern/cave dives ?
Thanks

My thinking is that they should be treated as the crew on the Aggressor recommends. I personally am not cave certified, have never dove in a true cave, and wouldn't ever without a guide or training.

But I've been in lots Kona lava tubes.

If the Aggressor recommends cave training for the dives, then you probably should have it, if not, then simply ask and you will probably get an answer rather than get a lot of specualtion. For the vast majority of the lava tubes I've been in, I consider taking a pass through them much, much safer than walking through my living room with the lights turned off. I know where everything is yet I get dinged a couple times a week trying to get to the bedroom after I turn the lights out, there's far, far more light in most of the lava tubes we have here, even without a light.

Liokai's comments are good, as he's done the specific tubes mentioned. He has more experience to the south than I do. Caution is good, but don't fret any if they play it down a bit.

Have a blast, I've heard the Aggressor is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom