Layering Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need a little advice. I'm a new Ohio diver and I just got a great deal on a new 3MM Heat Wave wetsuit on ebay. I know that will be too thin for our 50 degree water so I just purchased a 6/4/3 Parkway hooded vest to go along with it.
I'm also thinking of bidding on a 5 MM Parkway titanium lined sleeveless jacket to use alone or perhaps layer under the Heat Wave. Is this a good idea or too much? When we did our OW dives last May most of the divers at Whitestar (including our instructor) had dry suits but I'm trying to go cheap and cover the different temperatures I plan on diving in this spring and summer. Your thoughts are appreciated.

That wet suit set up sounds all over the map just get a 7mm with an attached hood like a Henderson Gold Core Semi Dry, an Xcell Semi Dry or something of that nature but not a whole mish mash of suits!

You still have only 3 mm on your arms and legs. No matter how thick the insulation on your torso, the cooling from your extremities will make you cold. Get a good 7 mm suit or a drysuit.

Ralph

This last weekend spent some pool time at a friends' home in Sacramento. Weather that day was a nice, sunny 78 degrees. The outdoor (unheated) pool was 60 degrees on the nose.

Since I am still waiting on my custom 7mm semi-dry from Henderson, I hopped in the pool with a GoldCore 3mm custom jumpsuit, 3mm core warmer, and bibbed hood. Everybody else was wearing 7mm + 5mm core warmers.

After 25 minutes I had to get out and take a hot shower. Although my torso was tolerable, I could feel cold through the thin layer over my arms and legs.

Granted I am a weanie when it comes to cold. Still, at the temps you mention, I would be staying out of the water with 3mm.

BTW, everyone else was snug and warm.

All the best, James

I have been diving for about 10 years now. I layer using an old Mares 3mm farmer john and shorty plus a full lycra diveskin underneath when I am diving NC wrecks. For some divers layering makes sense and is comfortable, for others it is a hassle. I am still checking into a custom 5mm or 7mm...I am tall 6'4" and I do need a good fit especially in the legs. I have read the threads regarding Henderson Hyperstretch and the numerous complaints regarding durability etc. I am currently looking into Xcel. Any advice out there on the quality, composition and service?

oceancrest67:
I have been diving for about 10 years now. I layer using an old Mares 3mm farmer john and shorty plus a full lycra diveskin underneath when I am diving NC wrecks. For some divers layering makes sense and is comfortable, for others it is a hassle. I am still checking into a custom 5mm or 7mm...I am tall 6'4" and I do need a good fit especially in the legs. I have read the threads regarding Henderson Hyperstretch and the numerous complaints regarding durability etc. I am currently looking into Xcel. Any advice out there on the quality, composition and service?

I was just recently shopping for a 3mm for some summer trips and I went with the Henderson Gold Core. It was easier to put on and fit the best. The Xcel is nice but it felt a little more stiff than the Henderson. You can't go wrong with Gold Core.

Save the 3 mm for warm water vacation diving, and get a dry suit for Ohio. I started with a 6.5mm Mares semi dry and went to an Apollo 5.5 mm dry. Once you go dry, you'l never go back to a thick wet suit.

billseamon:
Save the 3 mm for warm water vacation diving, and get a dry suit for Ohio. I started with a 6.5mm Mares semi dry and went to an Apollo 5.5 mm dry. Once you go dry, you'l never go back to a thick wet suit.

With all things considered maybe you should go for a inexpensive dry suit. There are many that are under $1000 (some even less) That would for sure solve the problem and they last longer than wetsuits.

Sometimes by going cheap, you end up paying more in the long run. I don't see how in the world you could ever be comfortable with this set-up. Get yourself one good suit or a dry suit and put these back on e-bay!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom