lcbr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokey braden

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
once again i was invited to join a group of advanced divers from tampa.
this is the fourth season i have met them at little cayman.
we had a group of 9 of which 6 were divers.
the dive op kept us on the same boat with the same crew all week.
we shared the boat with a nice group from texas.
we did all the sites on bloody bay wall.

the water temp was over 82 and the vis was from 60-80 ft on average.
the reef is in good shape and the food chain has most of its members.
i like looking at the coral from a distance and watching the small fish.
we did see some of the larger members: reef sharks, nurse sharks, rays and eels.

the sites are different in that you have walls, shallows, coral heads and swim throughs.
finding the boat towards the end of the dive was always fun.
once back on the boat eveyone wanted to share what they saw.

the resort is kept to a high standard and the staff is always doing more.
the food is fantastic and there is always plenty to choose from and lots of it.
the pool and bar was the meeting place for most divers at the end of the day.

i would love to return next year and do it all over again.
smokey

Smokey, thanks for the trip report. There have been some negative comments about LCBR on the board recently but my experience has always been like yours. We have been going back every year for the past 10 and the accomodation and diving has been consistantly excellent. I think of the food as just good rather than fantastic but that is not the primary reason I go to LCBR and given that it is an the middle of nowhere, they do surprisingly well with meal quality and variety.

smokey,
Nice report.
My feelings about LCBR mirror yours. Sorry I missed you guys this year. We'll have to meet there next year.

Smokey, you know we will be back. LCBR is truly a home away from home. I only did 12 dives and concentrated more on the R&R (translation is hammock time) this time. I couldn't have asked for a better crew on the boat or better service from any of the resort staff. The friendliness of everyone is not duplicated very often!
Anyone who has second thoughts about going to Little Cayman should just go once and find out for themselves!

Thanks Carriemak, I'll do my best to be there. Your group is always a blast. But, LOL, if I'm there, you'll have to do more than 12 dives..

Keyshunter - I will definitely be doing more than 12 dives next time. This year was more about recouperating from some health issues. I am all better now!

We're looking at a visit to the Caymans and considering LCBR for Thanksgiving week. Can someone give us an idea of what conditions may be like that time of year? I know that it's the end of rainy season and hurricane season, but short of getting hit with a named storm, are the seas particularly rough, is viz undesirable, etc for that time of year?

The answer is that conditions will probably be good, but there are no guarantees. October is almost always totally miserable, but after that the weather calms down and dive conditions get better. I still remember one year where it rained every single day during December, but that was a fluke. Normally December is nice, though not as nice as January and February. November, particularly the latter part of the month, is usually ok.

I'm sitting here in the bar at LCBR right now, using their wireless hub, and the weather is absolutely perfect. Water temp is 81-82, daytime highs are about 85, and last night I noticed the temp dropped to 76. That's cool--normally it only gets down to about 78. You really can't get better conditions than February-March.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom