LCD display for DIY video housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLB2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I built a 4 inch schedule 80 PVC housing that worked great, but I am considering adding a monitor to give me a better idea of what I am shooting as my point and shoot skills left something to be desired on a couple of shots. I've seen some older posts regarding adding a video display to the rear of a DIY canister type video housing, but was wondering if anyone has built any recently. I built some extra room into the back of the housing behind the camera because of those posts - was thinking ahead but I had no idea on how much room so hopefully it will be enough. Then again building the housing was fun so I'd do it over if necessary. Any info on parts or where to find plans would be great. using a JVC Everio camera if that info helps.

I too have been pondering this. I haven't worked up to actually taking a camera apart but I imagine that some type of ribbon cable is used for the flip out type screens. Maybe this cable can be replaced or elongated somehow to allow the removal of the screen so it can be mounted to a piece of glass on the end of the pipe/tube/housing.

I remember some guys posting about using cheap LCDs from eBay that had the bare input leads and could be powered off of a few batteries. You might do some searching for that and have a look on eBay

I remember some guys posting about using cheap LCDs from eBay that had the bare input leads and could be powered off of a few batteries. You might do some searching for that and have a look on eBay

Pustom was one IIRC.

Does anybody know if an Archos 5 media player has an external video input? Seems like it could be a self-contained option if you have the width in your housing. I think some models are HD also. An acquaintance sells used/refurbs on eBay for around $200. I've seen one, they have a clear, bright image.

Found this one online that may be a viable solution and the price isn't too bad at all:
Brilldea 3.0" LCD and video driver PCBA
Showing out of stock right now, but I think I may try to contact them and see what info I can get. Looks like they do Paypal so that makes me a bit more comfortable with it if I decide to make a transaction with them.

Thanks! That looks like it should work as long as the thickness is OK. I think it should fit, but I'll have to break out the housing and see. I know I am close to an inch of space behind the camera and that monitor is .95 inches - it is going to be close. I will need to make sure I have some room to play to account for the o-ring seal being compressed at depth. I will just have to figure out how to get power - think I can fit some batteries alongside the camera for power.

Thanks again!

I built a 4 inch schedule 80 PVC housing that worked great, but I am considering adding a monitor to give me a better idea of what I am shooting as my point and shoot skills left something to be desired on a couple of shots. I've seen some older posts regarding adding a video display to the rear of a DIY canister type video housing, but was wondering if anyone has built any recently. I built some extra room into the back of the housing behind the camera because of those posts - was thinking ahead but I had no idea on how much room so hopefully it will be enough. Then again building the housing was fun so I'd do it over if necessary. Any info on parts or where to find plans would be great. using a JVC Everio camera if that info helps.

i did this some time back and gave the pics and stuff to someone on scuba board. it used a ossibly 4 inch tv with aux input. i modified a cable to go from the 1/8 jack to a rca to conect to the camera. i used some 12 volt batery from a defibulator i think to power it. the tv ran on 9-15v.

ill see if i still have the pics and stuff and send it to you if you want it.

pm with an email to send to

regards

Back
Top Bottom