LCD or Torus wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin,

since it seems a colleauge of mine and me will go for your single rig, I also need to know what would be your reccomendation. I believe he already sent you an email asking for delivery terms as he'll be in the US for only one week, end of May, and be able to pick it up. :)

Basically, we both dive in water ranging from 11-22 degrees C, both have 5mm two piece wetsuits, and use 8kg of lead currently, with 15L steel fabers that weigh ~17kg when empy, full that should add up to ~21 kg. Cannot tell you the bouyancy carracteristics of the tank as there's no such chart for tanks measured in SI, afaik.

8kg of lead is needed to be neutral with the tank at 40-50 bar capacity doing the safety stop at 3m. I reckon I could take another 0.5 now, but didn't yet try it, I'm sure this will also go a bit down as I ditch the classic BCD.

Our sizes are 175-177 cm in height, 72-80 kg weight.

Future plans include a DS, end of this year. Doubles, who knows when (but not within next 12 months for sure), but that's a story for a new doubles only wing...

Looks to me like LCD 30 or a Torus 35, medium plate, single piece harness?

Do you need any more info?

evil_xander:
Tobin,

since it seems a colleauge of mine and me will go for your single rig, I also need to know what would be your reccomendation. I believe he already sent you an email asking for delivery terms as he'll be in the US for only one week, end of May, and be able to pick it up. :)

Basically, we both dive in water ranging from 11-22 degrees C, both have 5mm two piece wetsuits, and use 8kg of lead currently, with 15L steel fabers that weigh ~17kg when empy, full that should add up to ~21 kg. Cannot tell you the bouyancy carracteristics of the tank as there's no such chart for tanks measured in SI, afaik.

8kg of lead is needed to be neutral with the tank at 40-50 bar capacity doing the safety stop at 3m. I reckon I could take another 0.5 now, but didn't yet try it, I'm sure this will also go a bit down as I ditch the classic BCD.

Our sizes are 175-177 cm in height, 72-80 kg weight.

Future plans include a DS, end of this year. Doubles, who knows when (but not within next 12 months for sure), but that's a story for a new doubles only wing...

Looks to me like LCD 30 or a Torus 35, medium plate, single piece harness?

Do you need any more info?

EX,

I am assuming that you are using EU/CE 15L 232 Bar Fabers. The buoyancy of these tanks is about -.5 lbs empty and about -10 lbs full.

(Faber has a website that provides volumes and weights, you can determine the buoyancy characteristics if you know the tank material, empty weight, and water capacity)

Based on the 8 kg of ballast you are using I estimate that your current 5mm wetsuit is about 20 lbs positively buoyant.

If you use a medium SS plate and harness and the 15L fabers your rig will be about -18 lbs with a full cylinder.

Your suit is ~+20 lbs buoyant. I would recommend either a Torus 26 or LCD 30.

The Torus is sufficent for your current wetsuit, and the LCD 30 would provide enough additional lift to accomodate a future DrySuit that's ~30 lbs buoyant.

Unless you intend to use a very buoyant Dry Suit I don't see the need for a 35 lbs wing.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
EX,

I am assuming that you are using EU/CE 15L 232 Bar Fabers. The buoyancy of these tanks is about -.5 lbs empty and about -10 lbs full.

Your suit is ~+20 lbs buoyant. I would recommend either a Torus 26 or LCD 30.

The Torus is sufficent for your current wetsuit, and the LCD 30 would provide enough additional lift to accomodate a future DrySuit that's ~30 lbs buoyant.

Unless you intend to use a very buoyant Dry Suit I don't see the need for a 35 lbs wing.

Tobin

Yes, we use these Fabers.

Thanks! I'll try and double check the bouyancy of the suit next week, found your instructions in another thread here.

I see that there's basically no functional difference between LCD and Torus, mostly a matter of personal preference. What would you reccomend as a more streamlined wing?

evil_xander:
I see that there's basically no functional difference between LCD and Torus, mostly a matter of personal preference. What would you reccomend as a more streamlined wing?

Which ever one is the closest match to your minimum required lift.

Tobin

Looks like the package got to it's first destination, San Bruno. Looking forward to the end of May to get it wet, my BCD is already for sale. :)

Will post feedback as soon as I get the chance to dive it. Counting the days...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom