LDS has used Tusa Reg setups for sale. Good Deal???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg Crane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,
I got PADI certified in 85 and have not been diving in over 20 years. Needless to say my Sherwood piston regs are shall we say deep 6'd.
BTW computers then were $1000 to $1500 and I just bought a puck for $170 that I am very happy with!
So here's the question, I was leaning toward buying a new Cressi reg set for $550 with console, but my budget is just shot after buying a new BC and Suit.
Our local "rural" dive shop (not much traffic, but terrific instructor and trips) has some 3 to 5 year old Tusa reg setups with adjustable 2nd stage, with 3 guage consoles and octo, for $225-$250, they have all been serviced. Also they are in very good physical shape for an older reg aside from the usual bag bumps. He has said that they would give good service for recreational depths. The owner/instructor pretty much only sells Cressi now and he wants to get free of the Tusa's. I believe that he told me that he can't easily or doesn't want to get parts for them to service them anymore. I pretty much really trust him, he is a very honorable person and really doesn't trade looking to squeeze the last dollar out of any transaction because he has proven this to us, but I am looking for another opinion before I plunk down the benjamins.
I am looking into learning reg service for myself in the future as a skill. I already service other industrial regs for other gases, just not scuba. Are the Tusa's still servicable and can you get parts or should I steer clear. Thanks in advance. This forum is absolutely fantastic. Being out of scuba for many years, I have read my eyes boogety here in amazement at how helpful this forum is.

I believe that he told me that he can't easily or doesn't want to get parts for them to service them anymore.

I would find something else because of that. Unless you're comfortable servicing them yourself and you can get parts your LDS can't get. With that kind of budget you should be able to find a nice reg set used, or even a slightly lower end reg set new. If you already have a computer, all you need is an spg for it right?

For example, there's a guy selling a scubapro r295 with two mk2's for $220 here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...apro-mk2-yoke-r295-2nd-r295-octo-lp-hose.html

Unfortunately, Scubapro isn't one you can really work on yourself on account of scubapro only sells parts to their authorized dealers. You get the idea, though. You should be able to get a decent used reg in that price range no problem.

You might be ok if you can find someone who you can take them to or send them to for service until you can do it yourself. If there is no local tech then contact www.[B]airtechscuba[/B]services.com or scubatoys.com with the model info to see what the viability of getting them serviced would be and for how much.

What model is he selling?.......quite a few TUSA models are exactly the same as Scubapro.

Why don't you look into servicing the Sherwoods? Parts are still available and I serviced a few old Sherwoods and they are good regs.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

TUSA makes excellent soft goods, regs. not so good. I would give them a pass.

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Why don't you look into servicing the Sherwoods? Parts are still available and I serviced a few old Sherwoods and they are good regs.

Ya, I actually do intend to experiment with servicing them. Thought about purchasing: Vance Harlow's

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow to get started. The big deal is that I wanted to get some regs to dive with the rest of the summer without having to suck on rentals. I am extremely adept at precision mechanics so I do not have any reservations about servicing, just need the education and proper tools.

As far as the Tusa's are concerned, my thoughts were that the console alone that the LDS put on the regs was $125 alone and it is fairly new. Even if the regs lasted 2 years, I would be ahead of the curve. I may rent this reg set next weekend if they will let me and give them a swim. This certainly shouldn't be a problem if he wants to sell them. He has 3 sets of these regs for sale.

Thanks for all the replies!

What model? LeisurePro has the RS-510 on sale for $200. DiversSupply had them for $159 (they're all gone) It's a discontinued model.

Since you mentioned your LDS is getting into Cressi, both have the MC5 Ellipse for $225. Cressi Octo's are $62 - maybe your LDS will sell you one of those consoles separately if he can't move the combos.

TUSA makes very good regs. They are an OEM for many companies, including SCUBAPRO.

Back
Top Bottom