LDS loyalty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
Why is it important to people that they be loyal to any particular dive shop?

Why do some shops have that expectation of their customers?

I personally go to the shops that have what I'm looking for. I don't settle for
something else because "my LDS" doesn't carry the brand I'm looking for. I go to
the shop that has the brand I want. This has meant that I've bought from a few
different shops in the area, since no one shop has everything I'm looking for
gear-wise. It also means that I sometimes have to drive quite a ways from my house
to get what I want, unfortunately.

I don't eat at only one restaurant. I don't only go to Cycle Gear for my motorcycle needs. Why is it that I'm expected to do so with an LDS?

Jimmie

kalvyn:
Why is it important to people that they be loyal to any particular dive shop?

Why do some shops have that expectation of their customers?

I personally go to the shops that have what I'm looking for. I don't settle for
something else because "my LDS" doesn't carry the brand I'm looking for. I go to
the shop that has the brand I want. This has meant that I've bought from a few
different shops in the area, since no one shop has everything I'm looking for
gear-wise. It also means that I sometimes have to drive quite a ways from my house
to get what I want, unfortunately.

I don't eat at only one restaurant. I don't only go to Cycle Gear for my motorcycle needs. Why is it that I'm expected to do so with an LDS?

Jimmie

The LDS I certified with is very friendly. I feel welcome everytime I go in, so in return, I like to give him my business if I can. They are a little far away now, but I would love to use them for a dive master class too if I can.

I've been in other LDS's that were so-so, but I figured since I wasn't certified there, they just didn't know me as well. But then, I've never walked onto a car lot somewhere that the salesman didn't make me feel like I was his long lost brother.

I use my LDS and the internet to get the gear that I want. Although they didn't certify me in OW, I did buy some of my gear from them. I have since taken other classes from them i.e. equipment, nitrox, advanced ow. When they were down on their luck and didn't open their shop up for more than a year, they still serviced mine and other's equipment. I've also met some really nice people through my LDS. Some of which we still vacation and dive together to this day and we just happen to belong to the same dive club, which was started after we met at our LDS. Some of our members frequent the shop and some don't. I guess it is whatever floats your boat. Oh, incidentally, they have just reopened in another location.

As I said on the other thread, this phenomenon really puzzles me. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that dive shops tend to create a community -- teaching classes, doing fun dives with the shop, or organizing trips -- in a way that a lot of other stores don't. As a result, people become friends as well as customers. At that point, a decision to buy from another shop seems personal, rather than simply a buying decision.

It is very annoying, however. I don't want either to be scolded for my purchases elsewhere, or feel I need to hide what I buy elsewhere in order not to tick anybody off. No shop can carry all brands and all supplies, and it isn't reasonable to expect people to settle for something other than what they want because a given store doesn't carry that item.

I think loyalty in business (and personally) is a two way street. If you have a dive shop that is truly and sincerely concerned about you as a diver, you should be loyal back to them and patronize their shop. Shops tend to be communities as well as places of business - and a healthy community is fun, educational and enjoyed by all.

Now, that is not saying if you adamantly want a specific item that you should forego that item in lieu of a similar item sold by your shop. But, you may want to give them the first option to 'bid on your business.' More often than not, you may find their guidance will enlighten you to a better or less expensive alternative.

As for diving exclusively with Dive Shop equipment: If you are working for that shop, you should promote their specific product line. That is the professional thing to do. If you don't work for them, you do not owe them a commitment of any kind. However, if they kindly ask why you bought a specific piece of equipment, you may want to offer a constructive reason why. This may help them tailor their shop to your needs.

Just my two cents.

It depends on the organisation of the whole dive industry in your local place... In here (Croatia) we don't really have that kind of shops so we don't have that kind of problems... In here everything is genrally divided to this 3:
1. dive shops - sell diving hardware and there are only a few of those...
2. dive centers - sell diving services and some hardware - you go to them to dive in a organised manner..
3. dive clubs - noncommercial organisation of people - don't sell anything, people just meet, fill air and dive...

This is nice but is a problem when you wan't to buy new gear so I mostly use internet...

scubajcf:
I think loyalty in business (and personally) is a two way street. If you have a dive shop that is truly and sincerely concerned about you as a diver, you should be loyal back to them and patronize their shop. Shops tend to be communities as well as places of business - and a healthy community is fun, educational and enjoyed by all...

How many dive shops are truly and sincerely concerned about anyone as a diver? My experience has been that most shops are only concerned about my wallet. Most of them will try to express a concern because they think it will bring more purchases their way, but buying at other places does bring on the guilt trip. There may be certain employees and instructors that aren't that way and are truly concerned, but for the owners, it's usually different. And it's understandable because it's their livelihood. Do you show loyalty to any other stores? I can't think of any other type of business that is like this. Like TSandM, this phenomena is puzzling to me as well.

As for using gear bought at the shop you teach for, that's fine, but what if you move or change shops? Should you have to purchase all new gear because the new shop doesn't carry what you own? It makes sense to promote what your dive shop carries, but the dive shop should provide it if it means replacing what you currently use.

For me, it is also a need to support the shop I want to stay in business. i.e. the one closest to my house. I actually shopped around 4 different shops before getting certified. The shop I chose, offered me lunch and a beer the first time I went in, so I knew it was the one for me. I want them to stay in business, so I use them. Most of the others the question of price range came up on the first visit...very big turn off. I went with a shop who had people who loved to dive, and loved the fact that there were other people wanting to learn. Maybe this is unusual, and it probably helped that the owner of the shop was not there the day I went in :)

When I was a ski instructor, many ski manufacturers would provide "pro" pricing to get us on their skiis, recognizing that our students would tend to base their buying decisions in part on what equipment the instructors were on. I see this as a valid marketing strategy. However, as an instructor, I thought it was important to help my students decide what was best for <i>them</i>, which might or might not be the stuff I was skiing on. I saw that as a valid instruction philosophy.

As a new diver, I thought it was pretty amusing for my instructors to be telling me that the BCDs they were diving with (in this case Zeagle Rangers) wouldn't be nearly as good as the two back inflate BCDs that the dive shop happened to carry. In fact, one instructor said, he'd be switching to the shop brand as soon as he got the money together. This was pretty blatant to me - the shop was obviously applying pressure to their staff to dive and sell the shop gear, regardless of customer need.

Stores that treat me right get my business - this applies to simple things like car repair, or recreational equipment such as skiis, guns, or scuba. This isn't a mutually exclusive deal - multiple shops can treat me right, and the one that gets my business is the one with the stuff in stock at the right price. With internet availability of most products, I think in-store inventory is important. I don't need a store to "order it for me." I can order stuff myself, for less than a store can, so I don't think that's a big selling point for an LDS. If a store happens to sponsor a lot of fun dives and I start to partake in them, then it will seem natural and convenient to buy goodies from them.

I first showed up at my LDS because they had an OW class when I needed it. Since then they have been great to me. From day one, they greeted me by name and remembered everything about me - including gear I bought and strengths/weaknesses in class. All the people there are fun to hang out with. The prices meet or beat the Internet. The trip prices are unbelievably cheap!

This is all from a dive shop that is a part time operation. The owner is in construction during the day and then the shop opens in the evening and on weekends. Lots of divers seem to have become psuedo employees - they are always hanging out ready to answer questions and give suggestions. A wonderful place to hang out.

I have also visited three other shops in the area that are actually closer to me. I make a habit of buying something small (we always need SOMETHING) and then chatting up the owner. I find out about trips and classes and such. All three other shops have been friendly enough but no one comes close to my first LDS. They earn my business with every smile and suggestion. The fact that the prices are very good just adds to the appeal.

If you are near Chicago, check out Toucan Dive in Lake Villa. I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer (and apparently a very lucky newbie).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom