LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
That's NOT mandatory. Don't forget that you are the customer who brings the money to them. You don't need to be a friend. Have you ever seen any industries that the customer tries to be nice to the service providers from the begining point? I hope not, specially in the service industry....

He offered his advice on the subject. Not a mandatory federal regulation. Of course you don't have to be a friend, but does it hurt especially in the way of having a few more dive buddies?

Sure sounds like a lot of folks out there don't have the same type of lds that we do around here. Ours (and two others within a reasonable drive) are competitive with online shops and for those items where they aren't, well...they aren't. They'll be the first to advise me that I should buy online for those purchases if that's what I truly want.

Call me stupid, but I'll pay a few more bucks (a few, not a gouging) in my community and get more value than I paid for. They're in business to make a profit and I want them to so we'll have them around. And guess what? I know that the people at my lds actually care about me the person, not just me the customer. Yeah, I know, what a cornfed (no offense, Cornfed) yokel. Sorry, kids, but to me there's no substitute for sitting around the shop talking diving with the owners, friends and customers. Yeah, I'm the poor sap that will pay for that wonderful feeling of community. You all go save a few bucks.

Lyssaw:
I have just started diving and have shopped til I dropped looking for good deals on life support gear. I found a great shop that is an authorised dealer. There web site is www.myscubashop.com The store is called Poseidon Adventure. They have a great customer service based shop. The owner called me and answered all of my questions, suggested somethings, asembled all of my gear, set up my ATOM, filled out the warrenty card with all of the needed numbers, then kept in touch to see if I was happy. All of my gear carrys the Manufactures warranty and they will service all of it if I want to send it to them yearly or I can chose a LDS. I hope that others will have the same expierence.

This is a rather unique first post. What is your relationship with the site you are endorsing?

Sure, if your LDS give a good price and then advices, we all envy you.
But, if we have to pay the full price to get his advice, it is a different story.

Why are you here, this board? I am not sure how many dive experts you are dealing with at your LDS though. You don't think you are getting better and more comprehensive advices from all around the world thanks to this board. I have gotten so many valuable information from this board. Even, I dived with many board members.... That is much better than the dive club that is affiliated with LDS based on my experience.

stevetim:
He offered his advice on the subject. Not a mandatory federal regulation. Of course you don't have to be a friend, but does it hurt especially in the way of having a few more dive buddies?

I have recently purchased dive gear from scuba.com and am proud to say that I was happy with the whole experience. Did I feel bad about not buying it directly from my LDS? Of course I was, I have become friends with the people who own it, but I saved money through the internet. Bottom line, I will always try to support my LDS, but not at my expense. Some out there may be loaded and not care what things may cost, but for this lowly diver, i need to be able to support my habit as best as I can.

seaquest diver:
All I ask is give me a shot at the sale.

I want to thank everyone who has spent a single dollar in my store the past 25 years.

Great approach. Unfortunately, there are a few LDSs out there that would blackball a customer just for asking. So don't be surprised if some are hesitant.

Good Luck.

The argument over supporting your LDS versus your Internet Dive Shop (IDS) will go on forever.

The primary thing a lot of LDS' never realize is "Who their customer is." There's one LDS in my area who will almost throw a customer out of his store if they come in to get their internet purchased regulator serviced. I have a real hard time with that. The way I look at it, the LDS should work extra hard to lure the customer to buy his equipment instead of the over the internet. (I won't even mention the tirade the LDS owner goes into when the eBay word comes up)

Since I'm an independent instructor, I don't push one dive shop over another. I don't want to burn any bridges with any of them. My students get discounts from 3 out of 4 of the LDS's in my area. When I teach my O/W classes, I take them into at least two if not three of the LDS and introduce them to the owners and staff. That's where I go over all the equipment and show them different styles of equipment. It works out great! The LDS owners/staff get to give them thier sales talk... I go over the features I want them to learn.. and everyone is happy. The student makes his/her own decision on equipment.

One thing I do emphasize to all my students is the support they'll receive from the LDS's. Yes! LiesurePro, ScuabToys, Scuba.com, Divers Direct, etc have outstanding support. I've bought from most of them. But... when my transmitter failed on my wireless computer failed... it was my LDS that handed me a new transmitter... no questions asked... When my compass had a big bubble in it... it was my LDS that sent it back to the manufacturer for a replacement. When the stitching my my wetsuit failed... it wa my LDS that sent it back for a replacement... FREE!!! No shipping & handling.

The LDS I buy the majority of gear from is very interent savy. He understands that people are going to go out and find the best deal they can. Whether they buy it online or from him, he'll service it and give the customer excellent support. I'm sure the next time the customer decides to buy something, he'll think weigh the customer service he/she received with the internet deal.

In summary... I see great deals on the internet and I receive great support from my LDS. I support both of them. There are some deals at Scuba.com and Divers Direct that I would be absolutely foolish to pass up.

Argue all you want... there are advantages to both... and the LDS's need to realize that the internet is out there and it's a competitor...

Al

Well, how many people walk into an LDS, see the prices, and just turn right around and walk out the door? How about if you actually talk to the owner of the LDS and find out if they can work with you on the price of the regulator, BCD, fins, whatever it is you are buying. You know, they are not corporate monsters for the most part with no room to bargain. If a regulator in his store is $50 more than online, why not see if he can cut off just a few dollars and provide maybe something like a few free fills on tanks. This comes close to the price of the reg., and maybe sets you up for future business with them. Also remember, there still are shipping costs on top of that price you pay online which usually is close to sales tax at the store.

I don't think you get to the point about this market.

Like you said, if there is $50 difference in the regulator price, I am sure that most customers will head to their LDS. But, in real world, the price difference is nothing like your example.

How about Adobo’s case below?

Adobo:
Oceanic zeta cdx5

LDS price: $549

Scubatoys: $359

Are you still willing to pay $190 more to your LDS for one BCD? Maybe, you don’t mind $190 though. Many customers have a different WTP (Willingness To Pay) price.

I am also doing DM right now. Even after 10% discount from MSRP, the shop price is still more than my WTP. The instructors might get 5% commission from the student’s purchases. DM used to get nothing. I have talked with many instructors about this matter. Do you believe that they think it is a fair price? They are just keeping quite for their own interests.

stevetim:
Well, how many people walk into an LDS, see the prices, and just turn right around and walk out the door? How about if you actually talk to the owner of the LDS and find out if they can work with you on the price of the regulator, BCD, fins, whatever it is you are buying. You know, they are not corporate monsters for the most part with no room to bargain. If a regulator in his store is $50 more than online, why not see if he can cut off just a few dollars and provide maybe something like a few free fills on tanks. This comes close to the price of the reg., and maybe sets you up for future business with them. Also remember, there still are shipping costs on top of that price you pay online which usually is close to sales tax at the store.

I live in Mexico, and then about 250 km from the nearest dive site. I would support my LDS if there was a reliable one nearby. Much of my gear has been purchased over the phone from a service provider in Veracruz (on the other coast) but I have recently got some excellent deals from www.LeisurePro.com in NYC. Packages have arrived in about a week and everything has been just as described. I have dealt with them three times and although the prices after shipping charges and import taxes are not much lower than what I can get in my country, the variety and stock are much more greater, in orders of magnitude.

About air and services; I'm member of a well organized club and we have some 40 AL80 tanks in perfect maintenance and inspection status plus a couple of compressors, a portable Bauer 5cfm Capitano and a stationary 9cfm one. We also fill Nitrox.

If you ever find yourselves in the Uruapan, Michoacán area, do check us out at www.chapos.com.mx.

Dive safely,

--Jorge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom