LDS Problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(BTW, I was born in your fair city; grandpa died there at 101 last year, & you'd think the guy worked for the tourist board, he loved the place so much. Few in our family have left since arriving from Germany.)

So you have never had trouble there before? So they get mixed reviews form the locals....hmmmmm.

Here's my story: I have an LDS that has gotten me some great deals on used & new equipment, held some awesome parties in which vegetarians were served well (rare even out here), hosted some great education programs. Last Summer I REALLY needed them to keep my stuff in tip-top because I was in a 10-week intensive class that busted our ba$%s in the pool & classroom all day Sat & in the ocean all day Sunday. My luck: the main repair guy was fighting a legal battle (he won) & was gone all summer!!!

So the owner had some repair trainees try their luck at cutting thru LA's summer back-log of repairs. They did what they could. Bless their souls for trying. There are JUST NOT ENOUGH qualified, experienced repairmen even in major American cities. I got some stuff fixed well, some not fixed well enough to dive with. Suffice it to say that I spent a whole summer orally inflating (and I have survived.)

Once you get it that, although this is an expensive sport, nobody makes much money off of it, your heart wil soften toward everyone who is trying to keep you safe & happy. When this sport started, many people had home-made and army surplus gear. If they could not fix it themselves, it would not get fixed. We have come a long way, but not very far where systemetizing fair compensation for professional goes.

Back
Top Bottom