LDS Rip off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are a paying customer, you should get what you paid for, with no games. Your example seems harmless enough to me, but you are surely in your right to ask for the fins that were advertised, if they refuse to swap them in a reasonable time you should ask for your money and find another LDS. zeN

It amazes me how a simple question like this one can cause some people to become so defensive (esp when it isn't directed at anyone by name).

I think you did right by giving them the oppurtunity to make things right. If they continue to treat you as an uninformed customer, meaning they are obviously trying to take advantage of you, then I'd find another shop to do business with. Just as I have done with both the shops here in my town. I won't step foot in either of the shops here due to their continued treatment of customers here.

Tom

I still haven't figured out if you are interacting with the owner, or are instead still talking with the underling instructor...

FYI it was one of the instructors, not the owner. i don't really want to complain to the owner only to find the guy who gave me the waffle, will be the instructor for my class:rolleyes: as this would make things a little uncomfortable. the point i am trying to make is........the way i think and act in life is as the old saying goes "once bitten twice shy" i would be a very loyal customer if i think the service is very good, but my 1st impression is already soured even before i get started. should i give them the benefit of my hard earned cash, just for 1 person being a little (to avoid being rude) economical with the truth?

i mean if i was gonna spend bucks on a reg or BCD how do i trust the shop to advise me on a good one, they may say a particular one is the best since sliced bread, but really only trying to get rid of old stock.

of course i will now read the forums and do some research on items i may wish to buy, but i would like to think the LDS would give me unbiased and honest information from the start.

regards pinhead :^)

pinhead once bubbled...

FYI it was one of the instructors, not the owner. i don't really want to complain to the owner only to find the guy who gave me the waffle, will be the instructor for my class:rolleyes: as this would make things a little uncomfortable. the point i am trying to make is........the way i think and act in life is as the old saying goes "once bitten twice shy" i would be a very loyal customer if i think the service is very good, but my 1st impression is already soured even before i get started. should i give them the benefit of my hard earned cash, just for 1 person being a little (to avoid being rude) economical with the truth?

i mean if i was gonna spend bucks on a reg or BCD how do i trust the shop to advise me on a good one, they may say a particular one is the best since sliced bread, but really only trying to get rid of old stock.

of course i will now read the forums and do some research on items i may wish to buy, but i would like to think the LDS would give me unbiased and honest information from the start.

regards pinhead :^)

You got BS'd and it happens all the time in shops. Imagine charging new students $280 for middle of the road mask/fin/snorkel for the OW class and calling a student special. Get used to it. They want to sell you what they have in stock, of the brands they stock. Educated yourself on the gear so you can't get snowballed with respect to both gear and prices. Then go in and see what they can do for you. If they are out of the ballpark, go online.

You have the solution available to you, and aren't willing to exercise it.

So what if the instructor "might" be teaching your class....Move to a new one, or stop complaining.

thank you all for your input......to avoid situations where i may have cause for "complaining" i will now air on the side of caution in future. i will treat my LDS like the garages that services my car. dont trust what they say its normally bull***t to try and take advantage of my lack of knowledge to sqeeze extra £££'s out my wallet. i may well change shops after my classes aswell to look for my vision of a utopian LDS, i'm not saying all LDS are going to be like this its just unfortunate that my 1st encounter with diving had to of been like this.

btw scubasean, you wouldn't by chance work in a LDS ?
or do you just like playing devils advocate:argue:

Pinhead,
One thing you could do when you are training is make a note of all the equipment you use in your logbook. It might prove handy when reading reviews. (I wish I had done this!)

Another thing might be to join a club to get the opinions of other experienced divers.

I am pretty much in the same situation as yourself where I'd like to buy some kit but fear I'll be sold whatever stock they have - not that that in itself is bad but heck if you are getting into buying kit it's nice to know you are getting decent gear at a reasonable price.

[
One thing you could do when you are training is make a note of all the equipment you use in your logbook. It might prove handy when reading reviews. (I wish I had done this!)

good idea:)

thats where the internet comes in useful nowadays.
an individual can gain information to arm themselves against retailers that are trying to take advantage of them. looks like i shall carry on researching diving equipment myself and not to rely on anyone else except when it is an unbiased reveiw through their own experience

pinhead :^)

pinhead once bubbled...
t
btw scubasean, you wouldn't by chance work in a LDS ?
or do you just like playing devils advocate:argue:

Devils advocate...

Much of my equipment has been bought without receiving LDS input, at Leisurepro. If I need LDS input, I enlist LDS advice, and after comparing what others have said, bought it at the LDS, especially if I needed to try it on there (wetsuit, for example).

I'm a fan of asking many, then putting the responsibility of receiving what I want (and fixing problems, should they occur) on myself. :)

Personal responsibility is key in much of the diving sport.

i think the best way to go ahead from now is to accept advice and recommendations from my LDS but to go and read some reviews and do my own research before i happily give my money to them, that way every1 will be happy :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom