Leaking Sherwood Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadhender

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have and older Sherwood regulator and it has a slow leak in the 1st stage behind a little rubber gasket on the side. (pressure relief valve?). This reg has done this for years, and I brought this it to the dive shop and they said it is normal with these regulators. Any ideas? This leak annoys me when I dive, and I want to see if there is a fix before I buy a new one. Thanks In Advance

That is the Sherwood dry bleed system you are seeing. It will use no more than a breath or 2 worth of air during the dive. It is a unique and highly effective way of environmentally sealing the system. It is perfectly normal, if it stops fizzing get it into the shop.

It should look like a tiny Alka-Seltzer.

The little rubber gasket is actually a chcek valve.

Pete

I think that you are referring to the dry bleed system common with the Sherwood regs. It is a small leak that helps the reg from freezing and keeps water out of the chamber

If Im wrong, im sure someone will correct me

(looks like Spectrum beat me to it)

According to Harlow's (Oxyhacker) SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR, Sherwood 1sts employ a Dry Air Bleed system to protect the ambient chamber so some leaking is normal. He says the bleed rate should be between 13 and 27 cc per minute. Check it with an inverted measuring cup in a tub of water.

It's made to do that....I have one from about '89 or so & that thing still works perfectly.......have about 500 dives on it.......

Back
Top Bottom