Leaky Drysuit.... Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDonald

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got a free drysuit, so I am not complaining. Haven't had the chance to check all the valves, but I put it on and hung out in my bath tub for a while... Right off the bat both wrist seals were leaking. This is an OLD drysuit, atleast 10 years, it was used a few times then sat in a closet for a long time. Its one of those full neoprene with neoprene wrist seals, and all Kevlar on the outside. Several of the seams seem to be leaking, one on my rump, and I think alot of the seals on the left foot seem to be fairly wet. What do I need to do, Is there some sort of neoprene/rubber sock that can be fully glued to just cover all the seams? I have the black neoprene cement for... neoprene ... but can I use it on the material on the inside, its the blue smooth material? or is there something else that I can do for those seams? Im prolly going to purchase the rubber wrist seals(cones) and attach it to the neoprene ones. Id really hate to get rid of a free drysuit, if I can spend 50 bucks to get it all fixed I see it money well spent.

Thanks loads.

One way to find the leak is to put a light inside the suit and sit in a dark room. If the bulb has a cage around it it makes it nicer so you don't have to worry about melting the neo. If you see light through the suit then there is a leak.
I would imagine that neo cement would work on the inside. There is an iron on tape that can be used but I'm not sure that it is available to the public. There are probably more ways to repair it as well.

There might be other problems with the suit besides the seals-some might not make it cost effective.

Turn the suit inside out, then clamp off the wrist seals (or what is left of them). Then carefully fill the suit with 5 gallons of water through the neck seal. Then clamp off the neck seal. Move the suit around in various positions while checking for leaks (remember, you'll be looking at the inside of the suit, since it's inside out).

If the zipper is leaking, it'll be expensive to fix. If it's a few pinholes, you could seal them up with aquaseal. If it's the socks or boots, they should probably be replaced.

Once you've determined (and repaired) the other leaks, then you can fix the wrist and neck seals.

Thanks, I flipped it inside out which wasnt the easiest thing I have done, filled it with water an found all the wonderful leaks.. a few on the feet.. and my cuffs are the main leaks, not just the seals but seams. I ordered some new latex seals for the cuffs and a new neck seal (even though it wasnt leaking). Im going to cut the wrist seals done about an two inches to make it easier, because apparently I might not find glue to to get latex and neoprene to bond. But the wrist seals may have a layer of vulcanized rubber? Im not a 100% sure, because it seems like the neo has a thin layer of something to help seal out water... Should be getting the stuff by friday, and doing it this weekend! so idk we shall see if it works out. Hopefully or I just spent money for nothing, everyone's favorite thing to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom