Leaky exhaust valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec2Tek

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced leaks with the Apeks low profile exhaust valve? I know 3 divers that have and the valves also appear to be very slow in exhausting compared to the old ones. Any suggestions other than getting the old style valve?

Your valves are leaking because more then likely they were not siliconed on to the suit or your missing the sealing ring or both. Pull the part off the valve thats inside your suit. The part thats still left should be the threaded nipple sticking through. Put a very small bead of silicone caulk around the base closest to the suit. Put the valve back together and you should be all set. This works for the inflator too. About not dumping enough air, I had the same problem and Bob3 on this board told me to write SI Tech and I did and got excellent results. SI Tech has excellent customer service, email them.

They are Apeks valves not SI Tech. The valves have been resealed and they still leak. They are also slower to exhaust than the old style. I think they are restricted in the out flow ports. I am changing to other valves.

I'm sorry major brain f--t.

Below is a response from Dave Sweetin to me when he was still at Extreme-Exposure.

"Well, the issue stems from support for the one way valve. The old style has six support arms. The new has four. When a diver has an issue with a wet elbow and chest, check the low profile valve. It will usually have a portion of the valve stuck and leaking.

I wish it was more impressive, but it's just a simple issue."

Hope this helps,

Dan

Rec2Tek once bubbled...
Has anyone experienced leaks with the Apeks low profile exhaust valve? I know 3 divers that have and the valves also appear to be very slow in exhausting compared to the old ones. Any suggestions other than getting the old style valve?

I forgot to mention that the old style (high profile) Apek valve can be fixed to dump faster. If you want to find out how, contact Fifth Dimension in Seattle. They apparently just gring the spring down a tiny bit and it dumps quicker. A buddy of mine is going to give it a try. I will wait to see the results before I give it a try.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom