New Burst disc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobc9804

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have some old tanks that I just had hydro'ed. They pass and as I was about to take the to the LDS to be filled. I saw a recommendation that valves should be rebuilt and have their burst disc replaced after each hydro. The rebuild kit look fairly basic, a new seat an a few o-rings and washers - no big deal. On the OPV I am not sure what "should" be replaced. obviously the burst disc should be replaced with a comparable one for the tank (psi wise). However, there is also a washer and retainer. I do not know if these should be replaced or is it ok to reuse. Any advice other than just buy a new valve ? Valves are cheap but there is a satisfaction to knowing that you have properly maintained something rather than replacing it. I

Most now are "assemblies" instead of the separate copper disk, washer and nut.

Wht brand are the valves? They are not standard across the spectrum WRT PRDs. These come pretty close to "universal" - I use them in my Thermos and Bleu Steel valves.

Generally the burst disk should have the same value as the hydro test pressure (usually 5/3 service pressure for most AL bottles). So for 3,000# bottles a 5,000# PRD assembly.

Also - Ive sometimes screwed up a valve beyond repair when removing the old one and the old burst disk seemingly welded itself in place or the nylon washer simply refused to peel out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom