Leaky Moisture Trap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
I have one moisture trap on my compressor, which when I open the valve to drain it, I can't seem to get a good seal to close it. If you watch this video you will see even though the valve is closed tight, some air is still escaping.

Any ideas on how to fix this? is there anything i can do to fix/replace the seal?

any input is appreciated.

I think thats the old style brass tipped drain. The newer ones have a nylon seat that seals a little easier. I would guess that there is a little debris in there and you just need to bleed it off and clean it up. If its not that then the sealing surface may be damaged and you will probably have to replace the fitting.

I have to get it sized up, but I think its 1/4 NPT. I found this one, which looks like it will fit, and be able replace the faulty one:

Attachments

• vl531120te.jpg
    vl531120te.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 83
I think thats the old style brass tipped drain. The newer ones have a nylon seat that seals a little easier. I would guess that there is a little debris in there and you just need to bleed it off and clean it up. If its not that then the sealing surface may be damaged and you will probably have to replace the fitting.

Mine wasnt brass, but taking it apart and cleaning helped a lot. I still need to replace it this year, if I dont crank down on it after shutdown it will seep just a little.

DW

After taking it apart, i did notice some small debris inside, which was preventing the plug to completely seal the opening.
I cleaned it all out throughly, I am going to try to determine the size of the threads. It will fit into a 1/2 NPT, however only 1 thread, so my guess is that its not that size. Once I determine which size it is, so if I need to replace it i will know which size to order.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 128
It will fit into a 1/2 NPT, however only 1 thread

Half inch NPT ? I'm surprised it didn't drop in and fall out the other end with room to spare on that photo.
You sure its not quarter inch 1/4NPT female that hooks on one thread.

Knowing the model make or a full photo of the pump would nail it first time
But 1/4 British Pipe Thread parallel 1/4 BSPP if its an American Bristol block, LMF or Dunlop
Again not knowing its geo location doesnt help with the guessing

after checking it with multiple different thread sizes, I have a good feeling it's 1/4" NPT
I used a 1/4" NPT female fitting i had and it fit right in. I will order a new one to have on hand. however after I cleaned out the debris inside, the old one works just fine, will have to add that to my cleaning procedures to take it apart and flush any debris out of it from time to time.
The compressor is a BAUER K14, the final stage moisture trap, is a common one I've had on other compressors.

after checking it with multiple different thread sizes, I have a good feeling it's 1/4" NPT
The compressor is a BAUER K14, the final stage moisture trap, is a common one I've had on other compressors.

Its a 1/4 BSP thread British Standard Pipe on the Bauer (Not NPT) The Bauer part number is 011430
They are also available in BSP stainless as an aftermarket component, similar to the stainless NPT version you showed earlier, Dont use NPT as the thread angle is 5 degrees different to BSP and the number of threads per inch also. (about half a thread difference by the length of the part )
If you do use NPT it will leak then as you tighted the thread you will damage the soft aluminium separator female thread by using the stainless component as a thread tap and end up replacing both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom