Learn to Spear fish (Hawaiian sling)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neesa11

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys! My post is basically about getting into Spearfishing. I would really like to learn to spearfish using a Hawaiian sling for my 26th birthday in June and I was wondering if anyone has any tips out there for me to get started. My little brother does it with his friends, but I would prefer to take one of those lessons before going out with the boys so I dont hold anyone back... or spear anyone haha
Questions:
Do you guys know any good shops that teach spearfishing (and dont break the bank)?
What are some good areas to go to in SD where you can take the fish?
Any other tips or information I should know about for the sport...

Thanks for you help.

BTW I live in Pacific Beach, San Diego if that helps at all.

I can also teach polespearing off one of our boats. Dont get the rife...Its way 2 flexible. The Jbl 6ft aluminum is the best. Ive done this free diving for fifteen years.
www.customizedscuba.com

Last edited:
A pole spear is a lot better than a Hawaiian sling, IMO. And, no, they are not the same thing. A pole spear only uses one hand and a HS needs both hands to operate.

He asked about how to learn to use a sling and you tell him to buy a pole spear? Two totally different weapons..

He professed that he doesn't know squat about hunting, ergo he probably doesn't know that the pole spear is another alternative; possibly a better alternative.

Back
Top Bottom