Learning Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I been hanging around my LDS lately and I guess the owner took a likeing to me. Maybe he figues that if he satifies my curiosity-ill just go away :eek:)

He let me watch as he broke down several regs, ultrasonicly cleaned parts and then rebuild them. Along the way he explained each part, its function and how they all work together. I thanked him for his time and he sent me home with some repair videos to watch. I got some weird looks from the wife as I popped them in the VCR, laying in bed that night but she quietly tolerated the change in programming.

Upon returning the tapes to the LDS a few days later, the owner asked me if I wanted to try a few myself. I didnt have the time that day but am scheduled to go there tommorow to try it. Im not worried as I know he will be standing over my shoulder and wont allow me to do anything wrong. I think I may like it and possible spend more time there-learning.

I know theres NO money in owning a shop or repairing regs so im not going to quit my job but, I like the confidence that comes with knowing how/why something works. We'll see how it goes.

What a great opportunity!! You should definitly make the most out of this situation and learn all you can from the guy.

I think we should "sticky" this thread, so anyone who wants to know HOW to start repairing their regs can read this thread. Great way to start...
You got to start somewhere. After you work on other people's regs for a while, and work all the kinks out, then you can work on your own regs with no fear (sounds scary, huh?). Learning from someone who knows what they are doing is the key. You can read a hundred books, but learning by doing is much better...

That is pretty much exactly how I started except there was a period of several years in the middle where I did my own service work.

You need to be associated with a shop to attend a company seminar so getting trained as a tech is a chicken or the egg kind of problem and it comes down to having a tech or shop owner take you under their wing and do some OJT. It is a great opportunity that very few divers get.

I now do all the US Divers/Aqualung, Dacor, and Scubapro work for a local dive shop and go in on evenings and weekends as needed. It is not big money but it is enjoyable and I probably average about $15-$20 per hour on my cut of the service fees. I have arranged for all the money to go on account toward purchases and trips and since I am only charged cost for what I buy, it is more like earning $30-$40 per hour. Plus I get free air and a great price on nitrox to boot.

It's great to know your way around your reg. I still send mine out for annual service but I know how to do it and keep parts in my save a dive kit so if I have problems at a site (or the tech messes up) I can attempt to fix them.

I highly recommend you get the airspeed press book to suplment the knowledge your LDS gives you.

http://www.airspeedpress.com/

There is an agency that certifies repair technicians. I know that some manufacturer's require a dealer to recommend someone to go their specific repair classes / seminars. Scubapro comes to mind. However, if you want to get certified for regulator repair and overhaul, this is also one way to start. I am attending a training class this August. Mostly for fun, maybe a retirement job one day to earn beer money.

http://www.divingtechnologies.com

Well, I rebuilt my first regs today!! 2 of them actually and broke down 3 more, put em in the ultrasonic cleaner and will put them back togethr tommorow after work.

It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Replaced some high pressure seats, checked the floating orifices etc, tested the intermediate pressure and was done! I was working on Sherwoods and Genesis and was told they are about the most simple to do. Dacor tends to be the most sensitive and relatively high maintanance. Posieden is usually serviced by the number of dives, not by the months. Kirby Morgan, well- I guess they set the standard for commercial diving needs. He dont carry scuba pro because they require you to carry their entire line exclusively but, says they make a good product as well.

This guy's been around for some time and his master service technician number is in the low 50's. He learned from Bob Gilday.

Anyways, im really appreciative for the chance to expand my knowledge. He told me that when Im ready, he will take me to the factory service center and run me through the manufacturers course and get me cert'd. Not really sure where this train is gonna take me but, im gonna ride it till im no longer comfortable.

If nothing else, you'll at least have access to kits now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom