Learning Soooooo Much on SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lehmann108

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just wanted to express my appreciation for all the topics and extensive posts on SB. I'm a very new diver and I'm learning so very, very much. A steep learning curve. One thing that i find mind-blowing is reading about the accidents and near accidents by divers making such fundamental mistakes. It seems like they become way too casual and forget to have a dive plan and dive it. Instead they seem to think their out riding their bike or something! Our survival redundency is so high in air that you have to work at offing yourself. But in water the redundency is slim and only created through technology. If you forget to attend to this technology to keep yourself within that thin envelope of survival, you rapidly move towards death.

I'm glad to hear that you're learning a lot here. I learned a lot here myself when I was new...I was off diving for many months because there was an accident on my first open water dive (not me, someone else). That put me off diving, until I found Scubaboard and my interest was sparked again. Needless to say, I got my own gear now and diving actively (somewhat).

Just keep in mind that accidents are pretty easily preventable. Just keep your cool and remember your training! You'll be alright. :D

I'm glad you like the site. I love it. As far as accidents, they are very rare considering how many dives are done each year. So I'm not sure I agree with your comments relating to accidents and incidents. Yes there are those who make mistakes and pay for it with their lives. But there are thousands of divers each year who make safe, successful dives. I'm not quite sure how you are using the term redundant. If it's alluding to repetition then you are correct in saying we stay on land much more than underwater. Technological development is the reason we have the privilege to dive, and technology fails, but most of the time it's human failure and not technology. But again, scuba diving accidents are very rare...as are skydiving accidents. The thing about redundancy above ground...Think about how many peaple die in motor vehicle accidents each year...Talk about redundancy...Stay on SB, read diving literature and continue training..the best way to avoid mistakes....

rawls:
I'm not quite sure how you are using the term redundant.

I took is as referring to surface time. We're here, we breathe, don't worry be happy. When diving we have limited (albeit powerful) options for finding our next breath.

At first pass I tried connecting it to air travel but that didn't seem like such a hot analogy either.

To the OP....
Take those incidents and accidents as lessons. You will see that the lessons are the things you have already learned or will learn as you move into specialized types of diving.

Pete

Lehmann108:
you rapidly move towards death.

Philosophical if not a bit darkly poetic. I accept your thoughts!

Yes, SB is a grand resource, but in many instances, most notably here on the internet, the first (and often only) details of an incident quickly become fodder for gossip and conjecture. This often masquerades as fact, taking on a life and credibility of its own.

When something bad happens (or comes close to happening), many people want to show how smart they are, what good dive technicians they have modeled themselves into... they feel the need to extrapolate from the facts, making unsupported assumptions, leaps in logic and fact.

I have been involved in failure analysis studies, esoteric and detailed deconstructions of incidents that lead to mechanical disasters. The human factor always comes in to play. The first post reportage of any incident always interests me. I wonder how much truth is involved in that first announcement of the "facts". How much was intentionaly, innocently, or maliciously left out?

The posts that follow are of little interest. You're on the right track. Visualize the situation, extend that ability and practice into a pre-visualization of other topics that you might imagine. Think about the "more likely" scenarios. Learn surface rescue/recover skills... from an expert.

Stick to the basics, the rest will handle itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom