Learn'n to go muddin'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so you want to learn how to mudd. Well most of the city boys that come down to play with us think all you need is a 4X4 and you can go through anything. Well hopefully they won't read this because I'm making a killin charging them to pull them out once they get stuck. Muddin isn't as simple as lockin her in, and taking off. There is tons of stuff to know about muddin. Like for instance, dropping the air pressure in your tires to make them have a wider tread pattern. More grip, less slip.

Also most of these guys once the truck stops moving they want someone to hook a chain to them to drag them out. You never stuck until your girlfriend sings. You can try the ole reverse to drive. Get the truck to bouncing back and forth and eventually one of the tires will grab something. Have a couple of guys get in the back of the truck. More weight = more pressure. Roll the stearing wheel back and forth. Make those front tires move around a bit. But as with any instance there will be times when stuck is stuck. Like when you run upon a stump that's burried in the mudhole.

This is when you have to admit defeat and have someone snatch you out. There are several preferred methods. The ole use a winch. Which is nice if you have the money. The Rednek winch (better known as a com-a-long). Or the most popular have a buddy hook to ya. Now all of these have a little bit of danger to them. If you have ever seen a cable or chain break you know what I'm talking about. The winch and com-a-long are both dangerous because is the cable breaks it can slice you open or break a bone. The have a buddy pull you out is really dangerous depending on how much he has had to drink. For example. One time while we were muddin, a buddy of mine got stuck. So let's just call him Beaker told him he would pull him out. Well Beaker got his 50 foot chain out, hooked it to the bumper on the front of my buddies truck, then to the rear of his truck. Beaker asked my buddy if he was ready and the guy said yeah. As Beaker was on his way to his truck he looked at me and smiled. I told everyone to run. Beaker get's into his truck, which is about 20 feet from my buddies truck and then drops the hammer. Needless to say the bumper of my buddies truck came out just fine. The only problem was that his truck was left in the mudhole.

So what have we learned here today. Most of the time your truck can pull you out. Careful around cables and don't let a guy who has been drinkin all day pull your truck out of a hole. So get out there and have some fun. Also check out the upcoming rides section and join us for some great times. Happy Muddin.

jpdawsonsr:
I appreciate you not mentioning any names. Like our mudding adventure when I was home on leave.

Ah yes, JP, that was an adventure! I've upgraded rides since then.. I dragged a Dodge 1500 sideways outa the mud.. and a tractor.. and then the 1500 again.... it was a good day!

This summer is suck'n in terms of light rains and days and days without it. Of course, its threatening rain right now with amazing lightning effects, but will it do more than get the sand wet?

Any of yawl wana go muddin?

CBulla:
Any of yawl wana go muddin?

The question for here is, do we ever get on paved road? Muddin?....in Florida?...HAH !! You 'girls' don't know what mud is. A high inflated tire here is 22 psi...if the conditions are good. :D Just kidding. Yeah, it's a blast. Until you get stuck.

So what do you charge to remove said truck from the mud? $50 $100? The tow truck guys must not like you for taking their business! :)

I'm looking at getting a 4X4 this winter. Thinking Jeep but with three kiids I have pracicality issues. Wife says we can both get Jeeps and just drive everywhere together, Then we have extra room, Hehehe. I think she just wants a jeep as bad as I do.
Any suggestions on alternate 4X4's?

jpdawsonsr:
I appreciate you not mentioning any names. Like our mudding adventure when I was home on leave.

I know nothing about this day.....................................

jpdawsonsr:
I'm looking at getting a 4X4 this winter. Thinking Jeep but with three kiids I have pracicality issues. Wife says we can both get Jeeps and just drive everywhere together, Then we have extra room, Hehehe. I think she just wants a jeep as bad as I do.
Any suggestions on alternate 4X4's?

Land Rovers are good, but expensive.

Hank... my dear friend.. getting stuck is where the fun begins!

Ed - where we go, there are no tow trucks. These are the playgrounds that Big Foot and the likes originated from. Funny thing is, my Jeep is a smaller guy in terms of what some of the local BUD infused wildlife tends to proffer as an offroad vehicle... however, I weigh in about 1/2 of what they do, have more clearence, and somehow, have yet to really get stuck.. though, I have had some moments where I was starting to wonder "is it my turn to be buried and dragged out??" Folks will back in around you when you get stuck and in 2wd drop the clutch and hold the brakes with LOTS of gas, thus effectively covering your ride in mud while they laugh and throw beer cans. THEN they'll talk about rescue.

JP - throw practical out the window! She can get a Cherokee, that seats 5, you get the Wrangler. That way you got 2 fun cars

Gab - riiiight! I need to get out my boots to wade around that one. LR's are nice, expensive in both purchase price and gas. They run a small V8 block that EATS gas. Volvo's XC90's are nice to, and on ebay you get some decent pricing on used ones.. 1:1 they are out driving a lot of 4x4's under stock set ups, including the Wrangler.

Back
Top Bottom