Least painful way to get to Roatan from Chicago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I go somewhere to dive every year for our anniversary. We are tossing around the idea of Roatan in Sept. For those seasoned midwest veterans, what is the least painful way of getting down there from Chicago? Airlines to avoid. Travel tips. Anything appreciated.

We made our first trip to Roatan this past April. We flew Continental out of O'hare. no problem coming or going. Normally if we have a early morning flight, we stay at one of the hotels near by. For about $100.00 you stay overnight, and they take you to the airport and pick you up when you get back. Your car stays at the hotel. We have been staying at the Radisson, they have shuttle service every 1/2 hr. So for the 5:30AM flight going to Roatan, no problem getting there early.

TACA = Take a chance airlines

I also think its simpler to fly direct to Roatan from Houston when I can. Adding the complexity of San Pedro Sula can make it more challenging. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but I prefer the larger jets direct.

Options in September are likely to be less because of the peak of hurricane season. I'd book as soon as I could. For that reason, I'd look into insurance too.

The first time we went (out of Cleveland) we flew through houston to san pedro sula and then took the small planes over to Roatan. Now, they have direct flights which is nice. We have not had any problems going through houston (we live in Houston now so we are only one flight away). I believe delta also might fly direct to Roatan. I avoid delta through atlanta at all costs. Any time we fly through atlanta domestically we miss our connection and have to get rescheduled etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom