Leatherback turtle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok...yesterday on our morning dive on the Hilma Hooker, we came across a turtle swimming around the bow of the boat, it was pretty big. So we popped over the port side (top) and went for a birds eye view. It came up towards us, then turned to the reef and went up over it. It wasn't in an hurry (for whatever reason the Discworld book series popped into my head). I definitely was old, had a huge head, and a big prehistoric looking tail. I didn't give it alot of thought at the time, but then i wanted to know what kind it was. The dive shop thought it was a big loggerhead turtle, but I'm not sure now. I've seen oodles of turtles on the east coast diving here, and many in florida. I can't imagine a loggerhead looking this dark and old, but I guess anythings possible. After looking up what turtles are in this area, common and uncommon, to me this looked alot more like a leatherback. Is that within the realm of possibility? It just didn't have any of the loggerhead markings I'm used to, and it was a darker complexion, both shell and head/tail. Thoughts? Anyone seen one here?

Regards,
Bill

This might help.

Attachments

• Sea_Turtle_ID_guide.pdf
    382.1 KB · Views: 272
The more I've read, the more I think that's what we saw.

Did you get a look at its shell? Leatherbacks do not have scales making up there shell. Also they have very distinct ridge s running from front to back.

Leatherbacks are rarely seen on Bonaire and not known to nest on the island, but they do make appearances on occasion. With your previous experience diving the area and identifying the three more commonly encountered species I'm confident you probably did see a leatherback. I'm insanely jealous!

It's a Loggerhead, seen him a couple of times last april :)

DSC02377.jpg

Recent Loggerhead shot. Jackson's reef Little Cayman. Does this resemble what you encountered?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom