Leave or stay with buddy Scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would stay with my buddy. When I'm diving a wreck I always have a bag and reel. If I got blown past the line I would find a place where we could anchor our selves and tie off to shoot the bag giving our team a line up not to mention the boat would have a better chance to see our bag before we even got to the surface. Once the bag hit the surface we could begin our ascent do our safety stop and signal the boat. Just what I would plan on doing

Why on earth would you tie a bag off in a strong current?!

I don't think you need a lot of flak, since you feel your response is not the general concencus. But, since you dive NC you know the drill. Factor in your decision that if every diver is not on that boat, and the missing diver is still down there, that captain better have a launch, or at least a darn good scooter, because until everyone is back on that dive boat, that missing diver search doesn't begin until the anchor is pulled (or I think in this case, cut). The captain has the responsibility to bring back everyone. So, based on your decision, nothing can be done for this diver who has been left until all remaining divers are back on board. It does change the equation, and something to think about.

NC Wreck diver. Yes, I assume the boat doesn't have a launch. My thought is depending on when all the divers splashed, it could be 30 minutes or more before the boat realizes 2 divers are missing. If one diver gets to the boat, advises the captain of the driver drifting, he then options, Call a boat close by, do a recall of the divers below and hopefully get under way with the search ASAP, etc.. Provided the one diver is not at risk in getting to the surface, which the question did not say they were, I would rather one diver be adrift with the other letting everyone know what the problem is, what the other diver has in the way of tools, signals, and by establishing the time of the even, probably have a much better idea of where they should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom