Leaving tips, (hotel related not diving).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought I'd pass this on after my trip because I've been doing it wrong. This relates specifically to Hotel Cozumel but I would think it's likely the same at the other AI resorts where many don't need to carry money with them. Tips left at the bars or at the buffet go to the bartenders / cooks but not to the waiters. Tips left on the tables go to the waiters & they should be pooled together & then divided up but I don't know how well that works so if someone has been really good to you you might want to tip them in person & let them know it's for them.

Leaving a few bucks a day in your room usually gets you a couple extra towels and better service from your room staff, too...especially in AI hotels where many people don't ever leave a tip for anyone.

If you go as an Apple Vacation tips are supposedly included, but.........

I would leave 3 bucks on end table everyday and the last day I wrote a note thanking him and left him 7 dollars

the meals got 2 to 3 bucks depending on what I had on me.

Bartenders got a buck every 2nd or 3rd time up. we drank alot, so they did not miss out. Funny how I did not touch any alcohol in a year and drank probably close to 20 glasses of beer a day, funny how I never got drunk

At the AI, no matter which one, I tip consistently. 1 USD at the room every day (sometimes it's not even collected), and 1$ per round of drinks brought to the table.

It would be a good idea to have a big tip jar at the entrace(s) of the buffets that gets shared across the employees.

AI's that have restaurants, I'll tip up to 10$ if the service was excellent, usually always is.

I had always assumed that my tip at the bar or meal counter was spread around to the waiters too. This trip I asked one waiter who had made certain we got good service every time he was in the area, whether by him or other staff. We've always looked after the maids in person.

Yeah, it does differ depending on hotel or resort, too.
At non-AI places we always tipped our housekeeping staff $2 a day, left in room.
At SCC, they ask you not to tip until the end of your stay, and only in envelopes at the front desk area. YOu fill out an envelope for each: staff of your Dive Boat, Restaurant staff, Hotel Housekeeping staff, and/or a particular DMs name if you want them to get extra. Then you put the money in the envelopes and put it in a slot by the front desk. We like it that way so we are not having to tip our DM daily, maid daily, waiter daily.. Just less hassle for us.

robin

Always tip at AI. Stayed at the Sabor twice and leave 5 US per day for the maid. 2 in the room. Always had more towels than we could use in a day and the mini frig was always fully stocked with beer and water. We tipped at each meal and the restaurants that required reservations. In fact after the 2nd day we were told no need to make reservations just come by anytime and we will seat you. Made the stay that mush better being able to decide that night where we wanted to eat. No didn't forget the bar tenders - they got their share also. If we were going to be at the bar for a long time just left one large tip instead of tipping each round.

We always do:

$2-3 a day for room maid.

$5-10 a day to the pool bar guy - maybe more if he is Johnny on the spot!

$10 each way to the guy lugging all my luggage to the room on check in/out

Etc, I am like Cobra - I tip generously - and it definately pays off - 2 days in and the whole place knows your name and service level is off the charts.

Back
Top Bottom