LED Penetration vs HID / Halogen / etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kazinvan

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a light cannon and love it. I considered one of the eLED lights from UK however given my experience with two LED flashlights (one handheld and one head mount) I chose not to get an LED dive light. I have found that my two LED flashlights have bright white light, but the beams seem to dissapate quickly and don't provide a good beam. I'm wondering if this is because of the reflector used or if it's also a function of the LED lights themselves.

Can anyone that has used an LED dive light compare it to the light from an HID light or even a standard C8 or D8?

Thanks.

A standard LED and a high-power 5 watt LED are very very different beasts.

The Light Cannon is going to be significantly brighter than the eLED lights. I have yet to see the beam from the C8 eLED, but I've seen the light from other high-power LEDs and the light is whiter and as penatrating as an orange-ish halogen. The light looks more HID-ish, but 5 watts of LED light will be more like a 10 or 12 watt halogen than a 10 watt HID.

The eLED light is not quite as white as an HID, but it's close (5000 K for the eLED vs. 5500 for the HID - the higher the light temperature, the bluer the light.) In terms of penetrating power, the eLED is much more like an HID than a standard halogen light. However, it isn't as bright - the HID will throw about 4x as much light on a spot compared to the eLED.

Thanks for the posts. I haven't seen one of the LED lights in action underwater, but it sounds like they are decent. I may get one as a backup. I really like the white light so it sounds like a good alternative to HID. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom