LED's Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Thought I would take this chance to post while Rick and Derek are out of commission, so they have something new to read when they get back.

I just made travel arrangements for me and my dive team to take a week long trip to Florida this July. We got the airfare free (remember the Wendys/Airtran promo I told youy about?) and One Guy's dad has a condo down there so even though going to FL in the middle of July might not seem like the smartest thing to do, the price was right so off we go.

So, here's the question... We are planning on taking a road trip down to the Keys while we are there. Arriving in the late morning and staying until the next afternoon. Have any of you been down there? I need a recomendation for a dive operator (hoping to get an afternoon dive, stay at a hotle, a morning dive, and maybe another afternoon dive before leaving). Also a hotel would be good too.

Two of us are Advanced and one of us is just getting his open water cert now so I am thinking we will be limited to where we can go?

I have been lurking over on the Florida Conch Divers Forum and have gotton some ideas, but it's hard to judge others expierences when you don't know who they are. I know who you are and I know where you dive eyebrow So I am just looking for something different. Any ideas?

Hi,
Not to hijack your link but do a search on scubado,I am sure its the boat for you,but let them know about the [ow diver] As I am sure they will not drop him on a wreck,but the second dive for sure.lots of good boats/opps in the Keys some good some well,, But when a local DM I dive with up in WPB sends me down to scubado= Locals know
www.scuba-do.com
Dive safe,
Brad

I have been to the Keys many times and haven't been tired of it. Last March, Yukoneer and I went to Key Largo for a dive charter - it's www.amoray.com and they also have hotel on site. Very nice place!

The dive charter there was excellent and the people were outstanding! They will take you to the reefs including Molasses Reef, Penekamp (Christ of the Abyss), and etc... I don't know what kind of dive you are looking for. But this "dive hotel" to Key West, it will take about 1 hour drive if you want to look for nightlife fun.

I have dove with Aquanuts divers, from Kelly's on the Bay Motel, In Key Largo but recently heard they may have closed... so not sure. I liked em both times I was there however. In Key West I recommend Lost Reef Charters. I dove with Looe Key Dive center and would never go with them again, worst cattle boat ever, stupid rules, they tried to add my reg to thier "rental stock: etc, it was a night mare. My most recent trip was Flordia Keys Dive Center in tavernier, they were ok. By the way, I'm new to the board and lake Effect divers.
Dan from Rochester

I actually don't leave until this coming Saturday, but it is nice to see some life in the 'ol LED board! :D

With the weather starting to make it's upward climb (okay, so it doesn't feel like it right now - I promise though, it will eventually get warmer :wink:), we should start to plan some serious diving.

I have a self-imposed minimum of 100 dives that I must complete between right now and 12/31/06. I plan on being at Dutch Springs at least one weekend a month every month from May-November. I am more than willing to share my vehicle and/or tent/hotel room with any LED HEDS (hey - did I just coin our nickname? :D) that wishes to partake.

I have also been afforded a "second string backup" at job #2, so I will also be attempting to make my way out to Lakes Erie and Ontario as much as I can to partake in many a charter instead of having to bow out because of work. Again, my vehicle is also available to lug at least one other diver along.

If I don't talk to you all before Saturday, see you in a week, and I'll be thinking of you while I'm basking in the sun at Grand Cayman. :14:

Welcome Dan!!! See our other thread about some dive ideas we have for the club. I'd like to see us plan something together at least once a month!

I did part of my Instructor Training in the Keys. DD uses and works with Tavernier Dive Center.
The Keys Motel is in walking distance.

The Dive boat is a cattle boat but I really enjoyed our dives with them, especially The Duane, The Bibb, and The Eagle!! We had an excellent Captain and Crew!!
The Hotel is typical Keys fare. I thought it a little pricey, but you can get a room with a Kitchenette if you're looking to save a few bucks on meals.

Where in FL will you be staying in? The north/central part of the state has some magnificent springs that all of you could check out. Names come off my mind include Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, Ginnie Springs, Paradise Springs...

As having one OW guy with you, in the Keys - that typically wont be a problem, the reefs arent that deep, ~~30FSW deep unless you go way out offshore

Silent World has a three, 2-tank-trip package for $150.00 that includes tanks and weights. They have nice boats at the mouth of the inlet. You can easilly do an afternoon/morning/afternoon trip, but your jaw will will be killing you.

Back
Top Bottom