Leftover Egyptian pounds..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello Fellow Divers

Just came back from a trip to Egypt Cairo and found out some Egyptian Pounds in my bag.
Anyone interested on getting these at a good rate?

I have 3,705, current rate will be about $210 USD, but I'm ok on getting only 50% $100 USD

This is not to make any business is just that I forgot to exchange it at the Airport in Cairo, now back to USA there is no bank or currency exchange office that accept this type of currency.

Sorry you ended up with so much. I have notes of several uncommon currencies in an envelope at home that I look at as incentives to return for another dive trip.

More often, we spend our last whatever-currency on a beer at the airport and end up sharing it because we didn't have enough left for two beers.

try the local scuba groups to see if anyone is heading out that way soon. power scuba for socal, and the ba diving group for the bay area.

With that much left over I would think it would be worth it to make a trip to the airport and get it exchanged.

I may be able to use the Egyptian currency as I have an upcoming trip to Egypt, but need to check a few things first. If I can help both of us, I will PM you.

Go online and look for a foreign currency exchange near you, they are often interested in buying foreign money. They will charge a fee but you will get most of your money back.

Before I went to South Korea I wanted to get some dollars exchanged for Won and I contacted a local foreign currency exchange, they didn't have any on hand but they were able to get it for me quickly. There was a fee but it wasn't too bad.

. . . now back to USA there is no bank or currency exchange office that accept this type of currency.

It sounds like he has already looked into that, Kathy. There are currencies that exchanges in the US don't want to deal in, and it appears the Egyptian pound is one of them.

It sounds like he has already looked into that, Kathy. There are currencies that exchanges in the US don't want to deal in, and it appears the Egyptian pound is one of them.

I missed that part, sorry, but it seems so strange to me because we are not in a state of war with Egypt and our 2 countries still have diplomatic relationships.

@antonioroja perhaps should try calling the Egyptian Embassy in Washington, DC and asking them for advice on currency exchange. Or try contacting the Egyptian Consulate in your state, I looked online and there is one in Los Angeles, CA., see the links below.

Embassy of Egypt, Washington DC

القنصلية العامة لجمهورية مصر العربية فى لوس انجلوس

Last edited:
I missed that part, sorry, but it seems so strange to me because we are not in a state of war with Egypt and our 2 countries still have diplomatic relationships.

I would imagine there are various reasons why US exchanges don't care to deal in certain foreign currencies. Things like demand for a currency and instability of a country's economy occur to me. Tourism in Egypt has been way down since the revolution. Egypt isn't exactly a model of political and economic stability. The service of buying and selling foreign currencies is supposed to be profitable to the bank or exchange. I would imagine that instead of dealing in every currency on the globe, they deal in those that are most likely to be profitable. That said, I have been impressed with the variety of foreign currencies that ordinary banks like Bank of America are willing to sell: Exchange Rates - Current Currency Exchange Rates from Bank of America. I count well over 100 different currencies that appear to be available. But alas for the OP, no Egyptian Pound.

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Divers

Just came back from a trip to Egypt Cairo and found out some Egyptian Pounds in my bag.
Anyone interested on getting these at a good rate?

I have 3,705, current rate will be about $210 USD, but I'm ok on getting only 50% $100 USD

This is not to make any business is just that I forgot to exchange it at the Airport in Cairo, now back to USA there is no bank or currency exchange office that accept this type of currency.

@outofofficebrb

Back
Top Bottom