Lembeh/Gangga Cell ... wifi....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've done a lot of travel but always just rely on the verizon travel plans rather than SIM cards... I'm a cell phone luddite.... I do now have an E Sim card now which seems to make switching easier. Unfortunately I have to stay somewhat in touch

Staying NAD Lembeh and Gangga Island Resort. I understand both have wi fi, subject to strength etc. Is cell coverage in these areas any better if I get a local SIM card? Or even available? Or just stick to the wifi that I can get?

Primarily for emails, open a document or two.... light work

Thanks

Definitely get a local data plan. Cheap, easy. Have not yet done eSim in Indonesia but have used it elsewhere and it was pretty simple. You can load some in advance at home and just enable your plan when you arrive. In the past I have always just bought a SIM card at the airport on my way out of arrivals. It takes 2 minutes plus whatever time you have to wait in the lineup. Next trip I will probably try the eSim route just to make arrivals faster.

@ChrisM , do you have an iPhone 14? I'm told it does not have a SIM tray, so you cannot buy and use an Indonesian SIM card. I'm under the impression that eSIMs are not used in Indonesia.

Don't take this as authoritative. I just point it out so you can do more research, if necessary.

Verizon's $10/day travel pass is expensive.

I like to get a local SIM card...sometimes wifi at resorts can be slow or might not reach the ro
@ChrisM , do you have an iPhone 14? I'm told it does not have a SIM tray, so you cannot buy and use an Indonesian SIM card. I'm under the impression that eSIMs are not used in Indonesia.

Don't take this as authoritative. I just point it out so you can do more research, if necessary.

Verizon's $10/day travel pass is expensive.
13 so not that issue. I have seen e sim for sale in indo

I've done a lot of travel but always just rely on the verizon travel plans rather than SIM cards... I'm a cell phone luddite.... I do now have an E Sim card now which seems to make switching easier. Unfortunately I have to stay somewhat in touch

Staying NAD Lembeh and Gangga Island Resort. I understand both have wi fi, subject to strength etc. Is cell coverage in these areas any better if I get a local SIM card? Or even available? Or just stick to the wifi that I can get?

Primarily for emails, open a document or two.... light work

Thanks

I use WhatsApp when travelling. Just have to get everyone you need to use it too.

Its free, and works very well! With free WiFi almost everywhere you go, forget data!

Just as an update, got a regional eSIM card for the countries we were visiting - Singapore, Indo and Japan - 10G for $25 from Nomad. Worked fine. NAD Lembeh had decent wi-fi that lost signal a few times, Gangga Island not so much and kept kicking us off so having 4G worked. Left Japan having used about 9.95 of it, so all worked out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom