Trip Report Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived Batu Bolong on a full moon, when the tide changed during the dive. The water turned really warm, and the thousands of big fish we were enjoying with, completely disappeared in the space of a few seconds, we knew instinctively something terrifying was about to happen.

You were looking for trouble. I’m glad to hear that you survived it. I dove Batu Bolong many times. The last one was last August. We usually do it early in the morning when the current is mild.

Well, like said, this particular occurrence in Soccoro the downcurrent was worst on the wall. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the examples you posted.

Point is it depends on the circumstances.

Exactly, it depends on the circumstances, and the topography of the sites. And some of the dive conditions are somewhat unique to Indonesia.

And actually I don't disagree with your point, that being off the wall in a down current can in certain circumstances be better a option, and that if you're hanging onto a vertical wall that you may get vacuumed straight down from the force.

But it's not as easy as that, if you're faced with an unavoidable situation with catastrophic consequences and the potential of multiple fatalities, it's survival mode without trying to stress or panic underwater.

You were looking for trouble. I’m glad to hear that you survived it. I dove Batu Bolong many times. The last one was last August. We usually do it early in the morning when the current is mild.

Actually when we arrived at site, the crew discussed about which side to make entry, because they knew the tide times already. They decided on North side, I guess the belief was the tide had already turned.

Looking for trouble? 🫣 My next Batu Bolong dive after said incident, was without even planning a trip, just a snap decision went to airport and flew to Labuan Bajo and diving next day.

Didn't know it was a Super Moon, arrived at Batu Bolong just when the tide was due to turn. There were mini whirlpools and currents, and boat was spinning around. This time around I knew, just wait for the tide to turn and settle, then we can dive. Was great 😃👍

I just spent a month diving in Indonesia (Una Una & Kri Island) and my best suggestion for using a card is to get a Wise card. My card worked everywhere without a problem. Also, get a local SIM card when you arrive it will make your life so much easier.

Actually when we arrived at site, the crew discussed about which side to make entry, because they knew the tide times already. They decided on North side, I guess the belief was the tide had already turned.

Looking for trouble? 🫣 My next Batu Bolong dive after said incident, was without even planning a trip, just a snap decision went to airport and flew to Labuan Bajo and diving next day.

Didn't know it was a Super Moon, arrived at Batu Bolong just when the tide was due to turn. There were mini whirlpools and currents, and boat was spinning around. This time around I knew, just wait for the tide to turn and settle, then we can dive. Was great 😃👍

Yes, diving during slack tide is another good option.

There is a site in RA called Manta Ridge. Eveey time that I have been there, the ore dive instruction is to stay by the wall because there is a downcurrent just beyond it. The dive exit instruction each time is to go up the wall and back away from the edge before ascending. The last time I was there, the current was so strong that there were divers who could not pull themselves away from the edge. Dive guides banged their tanks to get our attention and signaled ti let go and ascend through the downcurrent. It was fun but I was not unduly troubled thanks to the lift capacity of my wing.
i see a couple of resorts specify no gloves - how strict are they with this? i don't touch but like to wear in case of emergencies like wall clinging...

i see a couple of resorts specify no gloves - how strict are they with this? i don't touch but like to wear in case of emergencies like wall clinging...

Just returned from LOB in RA a few days ago. We were there for new moon.

During boarding briefing the rules on gloves was mentioned but on this particular LOB it was not policed at all. During virtually all day dives current was a issue covered on the briefing. On about half the dives some crawling or grabbing was needed.

Some sites will always have current (manta ridge) some have spots with more or less current.

I do think the precise dive plan your guide executes can make a big difference but the current can change mid dive. Bring your gloves. Wear them. Make sure your guide is very experienced in RA. We had 4 guides for 4 small groups that would execute the dive differently. The oldest most experienced guide consistently brought back the less exhausted overwhelmed divers. Two guides had only a few months experience in RA (they were more experienced in komodo and other areas) and consistently brought us back pretty exhausted from fighting the current.

The current isn't completely avoidable no matter what magic path your guide finds but there are easier and harder paths on the sites.

Just returned from LOB in RA a few days ago. We were there for new moon.

During boarding briefing the rules on gloves was mentioned but on this particular LOB it was not policed at all. During virtually all day dives current was a issue covered on the briefing. On about half the dives some crawling or grabbing was needed.

Some sites will always have current (manta ridge) some have spots with more or less current.

I do think the precise dive plan your guide executes can make a big difference but the current can change mid dive. Bring your gloves. Wear them. Make sure your guide is very experienced in RA. We had 4 guides for 4 small groups that would execute the dive differently. The oldest most experienced guide consistently brought back the less exhausted overwhelmed divers. Two guides had only a few months experience in RA (they were more experienced in komodo and other areas) and consistently brought us back pretty exhausted from fighting the current.

The current isn't completely avoidable no matter what magic path your guide finds but there are easier and harder paths on the sites.
Steel pointer stick/muck stick to pull you along. You still shouldn't need to use your hands. Rock bouldering needn't be necessary.

Don't worry about wearing gloves. There is no enforcement, and now that I've been to Indonesia, I firmly believe it is a required part of your overall kit, along with a reef hook and a pointer stick.

Don't worry about wearing gloves. There is no enforcement, and now that I've been to Indonesia, I firmly believe it is a required part of your overall kit, along with a reef hook and a pointer stick.
I'm pretty sure that we were were told on Blue Manta that gloves were not allowed - folks used carefully-placed reef hooks, pointers or bare hands in high current areas. No one wore gloves and no one tore up their hands (should be avoiding live coral and jaggies even if using gloves - same for hooks and pointers).

However, we never got caught in a bad down current that required clinging to a wall and or climbing it but, barring that type of dangerous occurrence, I don't really see a need for gloves and understand the "ban".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom