Getting to Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

SteveM54

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to plan a liveaboard trip (10-17 days on the "boats") to the Raja Ampat area for Jan. - Feb or March of '25.
My once in a life time trip !!!!

Starting in St. Louis, Mo.
Going through Seattle - Taipei -Jakarta - then Sorong.
That's 11,873 flight miles over 67 hours in airports - traveling alone.
Kind of "dicey" but do-able.
I'm concerned about being totally worn out from the ride just getting there (just hit 70) & then having to sleep for three days just to recover from the "jet lag".
So if anyone else has had this type of experience, please share your ideas with me as to:
1. Did you stop for a "day or three" somewhere & dive or tour or just rest or ????
2. What liveaboards did you like or not ? Found one that has a 7 day & then the next trip is 10 more days = 17 days back to back.
3. I have the time to add a week on the front end of this trip so ideas & comments would very much be appreciated.

I don't care about on the way home but on the to Raja Ampat - I'm worried about: delayed luggage, lost gear & just being wiped out.
Thanks

following as i will be making this trip in the next year or two and I'm not to far from you.

I'm trying to plan a liveaboard trip (10-17 days on the "boats") to the Raja Ampat area for Jan. - Feb or March of '25.

I'm concerned about being totally worn out from the ride just getting there (just hit 70) & then having to sleep for three days just to recover from the "jet lag".
So if anyone else has had this type of experience, please share your ideas with me as to:
1. Did you stop for a "day or three" somewhere & dive or tour or just rest or ????
2. What liveaboards did you like or not ? Found one that has a 7 day & then the next trip is 10 more days = 17 days back to back.
3. I have the time to add a week on the front end of this trip so ideas & comments would very much be appreciated.

I don't care about on the way home but on the to Raja Ampat - I'm worried about: delayed luggage, lost gear & just being wiped out.
Thanks
Good info in this thread:

Traveling to Indonesia

I’d recommend getting to Sorong 2 days ahead to relax/unwind/get on local time before the LOB. I did Blue Manta in Dec 2022 and am doing White Manta in Jan 2025 - fantastic Op and boats:

White Manta Diving - Home

I travelled solo and it was fine - in fact, I enjoyed the travels to/from!

Thanks
1. I flew to that part of the world twice last year from the DC area. The jet lag you experience on arrival is relatively mild and easy to adjust to. So personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, the jet lag you experience once you return home can be much more difficult to adjust to. It took me several weeks in each case.

2. How are you coming up with your flight itinerary? I usually use kayak.com. I just checked flights from St. Louis to Sorong, and had them sorted by quickest. There were a whole host of itineraries that were only 44 hours. Not quick, but a lot shorter than the 67 hours you seem to be anticipating. In any event, I am no spring chicken and I find that waiting around airports can be boring, but not really physically exhausting.

3. I fly internationally often on very long trips to developing countries. I've only had luggage lost once (on a flight to South Africa); but they got that to me in a couple of days. But if you want to be cautious due to the liveaboard time frame, arriving a couple days early as others have suggested should help.

Hope this helps

I did my first trip to RA in November/December 2023. My travel from PDX was over 50 hours. I had an 18-hour layover in Tokyo and got an airport hotel. If your itinerary allows, a mid-trip hotel stay makes a world of difference for the onward journey. You'll most likely have to spend the night in Jakarta to take a next-day flight to Sorong. Or if you can put a stopover in your itinerary for a couple of days, that will also help with the jetlag. I did it solo and did just fine.

a mid-trip hotel stay makes a world of difference for the onward journey
This ^^, I have done two 14 hour and one 18 hour flights the last couple of months [flights under 7 hours don't count for this] .
You will feel so much better after a good feed [and not airline food] and a few hours sleep is gold.

My old trip report from Dec. 2022: Trip Report - Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

Yeah, all that flying is brutal. 9-Hours into a 13 hour flight from Dallas Fort Worth to Tokyo, I got restless legs...while wide awake...bad...and it's not something I normally suffer from.

If you can swing the time, I highly recommend a couple of days at a hotel going, and if practical coming home. The travel ordeal wasn't quite as bad as I feared, but I was really afraid (not the level of terror that'd make me cough up the ridiculous cost to upgrade from economy flights, but still...).

On a positive note, now the idea of a 3 to 4-hour flight to Bonaire sounds like no big deal!

Some of the places you may stop at are interesting enough to warrant a day to look around, maybe buy a souvenir. Keychains are small, often cheap, often say where they were bought, travel compactly and are nearly ubiquitous and make nice collectibles with a practical use if you like.

P.S.: Nearly a year later the boat I went on burned; sad, I really liked it.

@SteveM54
1. Travelling East usually given me the worst jet lag than the opposition direction.
2. Extra day or two at Sorong should be more than enough.
3. 17 days straight on LoB is a bit challenging physically. I would do it differently ie. visiting other places in the country. Your holiday, your choice.

Thanks
I looked at alot of options in term of staying somewhere before getting on the liveaboard in Sorong.
I thought about Jakarta, but I was told it was just a industrial city with traffic jams anywhere you try to go, whether it is to the hotel or sites to visit. I thought about flying to Manado where I can dive a few days, some in Lembeh and others in west Manado. It was too much pure diving and its a big distance between east and west. I settled for Bali, where I can do dives and cultural/natural tours, and a hop over to Nusa Lembongan/Penida for some mantas (timing didn't work out).

So at the end I did 5 nights in Bali area (did Dive safari (dive with same dive shop over multiple islands, they take care of all the transfers), but they still couldn't fit my requirements of diving where I wanted (Bali just opened from covid lockdown, so all guides went back home and haven't returned)), then flew over to Sorong and took my LOB, after LOB, few back to Bali for another couple of days (was suppose to be 1, but orig LOB got cancelled at last min, so booked another one that was 1 day shorter and changed return flght to Bali that was 1 day earlier). I never stayed in Sorong, as there was a dearth of things to do.

My old trip report from Dec. 2022: Trip Report - Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

On a positive note, now the idea of a 3 to 4-hour flight to Bonaire sounds like no big deal!

P.S.: Nearly a year later the boat I went on burned; sad, I really liked it.
I was to board Indo Siren right after your trip, but got a message on the 11th that my boarding on the 13th was cancelled. They originally offered a credit on equiv sailing on the Siren within a 1 or 2 year period. Since I don't think I would be back on this side of the world within that period, I got my travel agent to fight hard to get us a refund (lots of slow emails back and forth from Bali to California to UK and back, where nobody is in the same time zone), then finding a new booking of existing liveaboard that fits within my original window (more search and slow emails from Bali to Californa to Bali (where Mermaid's HQ is) and back) Good thing I did, since the Indo Siren is no more, that is unless the credit applies to the Indo Master, which would have been a upgrade bump (still have to come back though).

You would think Bonaire is straightforward, but I booked with AA/Insel Air, in which the Insel plane had engine had problems in Curacao, so we were told to wait for 5 hours for the next plane to arrive. I headed to Charlotte for a couple of hours, and by the time I came back to the airport, they booked all the empty avail seats to other stranded passengers so I was put in a airport motel for a few days until their next flight arrives. I had to eat at Cracker Barrel every night since eating anywhere else would have surpassed the alloted food expense. I was able to shift my stay at Bonaire to a couple of days later and rebook my AA flight too(for a fee). I even won a raffle while on Insel Air for a free ticket to Bonaire, but I never redeemed it as I had to fly with them again. They didn't even compensate me for the rebooking fee.

I'm 64--about to turn 65--and have been making this or similar trips (PNG, Alor, Komodo, Banda) for roughly 20 years. I agree that jetlag traveling west is not a big deal. But the lengthy flights take more of a toll each year. Best advice I can give is to fly business or premium economy if you can swing it with either cash or points or a combination. Look at using points to upgrade an economy ticket. Buy a lounge pass for Taipei, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or whatever your connecting point is and grab a long hot shower. I generally fly onward from Jakarta as soon as possible. I find flights typically get you into Jakarta early to midday and you can grab a nonstop to Sorong just past midnight the next day. I book a day room at an airport hotel for another shower and a nap. However, if you've flown economy, I would build in a day at Anara hotel at the airport or FM7 nearby. I've always flown into Sorong the morning of my liveaboards. Perhaps I'm pushing my luck but it's worked out so far. Since they began their direct nonstop flight, I've always flown Garuda. The slightly higher cost is easily justified by the scuba gear baggage allowance and the (marginally better) reliability. Jetlag after arriving home will be really bad. Takes me a full week to get back to normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom