Lens cover for Canon S45 Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a Canon housing for my S45 (great little camera BTW).

I am concerned that the 'lens' in the housing is at risk of damage, both in the water and out.

Has anyone else addressed this problem? It seems that a flexible cover on a short elastic could be used. The elastic would keep it out of the way when shooting but allow it to be pulled over the lens when it is banging around on my hip.

Advice very welcome.

Thanks

I don't know about the Canon housings but the Olympus housings can be fitted with a cut off beer can cooler sleeve that fits perfectly over the housing lens barrel. Works great on the boat and if it gets lost its cheap.

I have the same housing for my S30. When traveling, I put the entire housing in a thin silk like bag for protection. It was just a bag that came with some headphones.

When diving I use nothing. The metal around the lens area seems to protect it from a lot of things. I often put the whole thing in my BC pocket since I dont have an off camera flash.

A couple of times it's popped out of the BC pocket unknown to me, and dragged by the 3' attached clipped tether along the ladder and boat deck! The metal around the lens has many scratches and dings on it, but the lens area is still perfect. Maybe I've just been lucky.

BTW, make sure you get some moisture munchers or a small silica gell pack to avoid fog. Also, if you go a while between shots, turn off the display, it'll save the battery and cut down on fogging as well.

If you do come up with a good lens cap solution, please post it, it couldn' t hurt to have one.

GB

Thanks for the advice guys,

I have the silica gel coming and will fiddle with the cover idea and get back to you. It is somewhat reassuring to hear that yours has survived so far.

If it does get damaged can it be replaced? It looks to be screwed in onto an 'O' ring. That would significantly reduce my concern.

Graham

I've just picked up a S50 and the Canon housing as well. I hadn't really thought about a lens cover 'til I read this thread. Thanks guys.

Have only taken pictures topside so far - but have been really impressed with the Manual settings on the Canon. Looking forward to using it u/water...

Grajan once bubbled...
I have been really intimidated by the manual settings.....:confused:

How on earth do you learn what they are all for?

Any good books that would help?

Your Canon manual actually is a good source. A basic photography course or any basic photography course book would help as well.

That said, I was a pro for 20 years and understand them all, yet use only about 30% of the adjustments. Certain situations come up all the time and you can cover 99% of them with just 3 or 4 settings.

Outdoors, no flash needed: set to AUTO

Outdoors, fill in flash needed: set to P and force flash ON

Indoors, dim light, no flash wanted, looking for a natural look: set to P, use menu to kick ISO to 800, flash OFF, white balance to TUNGSTEN

Underwater, most shots: ISO set to 100 or 200. Top dial set to Tv (shutter priority) Shutter speed 1/125, Flash forced ON, Macro ON, white balance set to CLOUDY

On of the best things about digital is the instant results and the fact the camera records your settings. Take some time and experiment. Shoot, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more!!

GB

That was very helpful.

One scenario you did not address is 'vacation snaps' (General scene - buddies etc.) in relatively shallow water.

I assume you would not use the macro for that but is it better with or without the flash?

OK - Digital - I just need to practice.....

Thanks again for your good advice. It would have taken me a long time to find that out for myself.

Grajan once bubbled...
That was very helpful.

One scenario you did not address is 'vacation snaps' (General scene - buddies etc.) in relatively shallow water.

I assume you would not use the macro for that but is it better with or without the flash?

OK - Digital - I just need to practice.....

Thanks again for your good advice. It would have taken me a long time to find that out for myself.

Your Welcome, it's fun to help.

Over 3' or so, turn off Macro. Underwater and over 6' or so, turn off Flash. Best results, though, are always as close as possible.

Here's a couple of links that should help as well:

Canon UW photo tip page:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/page/top-e.html

My Canon review page with some info and UW samples:

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=465

Also someone named Dave Read has a great UW page with good tips. I can't find the link, but a web search might get it for you. He also posts occasionally, or maybe someone else has the link for you.

One more tip, for UW, buy some 'moisture munchers' or get some silica gel packets to keep fog off the lens.

GB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom