Lens reflection with wide angle lens (Olympus 9 - 18mm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same lens behind a zen dome port and had to mask out the writing with black tape ( I had someone with plotter / cutter cut an exact sized ring out of adhesive vinyl to cover the white lens information)which has worked well for several years now. This was in addition to the Olympus shading ring which only appears to shade possible reflections from the camera body. With both of these I have not had any problem. After viewing your images on flicker I am not sure if you used a strobe of any sort. This would help reduce the contrast ratio between the dark main subject and the bright background, which would make the reflection less visible.

I had the exact same issue. I think covering the lens lettering with tape is probably the best solution but I didn't have any on hand and simply used a black sharpie marker to go ever the lettering. Worked great and if this is not a lens you're planning on selling then it may be the easiest solution.

Thanks for all the replies. But even when the letters were covered I still got a reflection which I didn't get with the Olympus 12-50mm lens in a flat port.. But at least I'm not the only one having this kind of problem :blinking:...

As Birthday and Christmas present I was very lucky and got the 9-18mm lens and the Nauticam dome :D. In addition I also got a tip to prevent reflection. I was told to cut out a ring from sponge rubber (not sure if its the correct name in English..) and stick it over the writings on the lens. As the surface of this sponge rubber is matt, there shouldn't be any reflection. I will test it in Indonesia in April to be ready for Fiji in July :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom