Question Less Tedious Ways To Log Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but that's a tradeoff as well. Unless it's always recording, you may miss something cool in the time it takes to get started.

With gopro 11....Hindsight captures up to 30 seconds before you hit record so you won’t miss a moment.

I run mine when I splash, and only turn off when I get on the boat. It is tedious, but not too bad. Even just taking short clips, some post production should be done as not every shot will be a winner.
After one trip to cozumel I had 25 or so hours of footage...not happening again. Now I just hit record when there is something cool. Will be even better with the 11.
The Garmin app is pretty cool. Subsurface displays locations on a map as well. Just one, though. Not an entry and exit.
I used to run subsurface as well but it only showed location after i manually entered it, this is not comparable to Garmin.

Not as easy nor as accurately as automatically done like the Garmin and the user interface wasnt nearly as easy to work with for me. I also like seeing how far I go for drift dives or gow bad my navigation is upon exit:wink:

After one trip to cozumel I had 25 or so hours of footage...not happening again. Now I just hit record when there is something cool. Will be even better with the 11.
I found it was just as cumbersome to deal with uploading and editing a dozen hour-long files as it was to upload and try to piece together a hundred little files. I would spend more time doing this than diving, and so the raw footage just accumulated over trip after trip, me never getting around to dedicating a day to dealing with it. Maybe I just needed a faster computer and/or upload connection to the GoPro. I gave up trying to take GoPro video. I know, a bit off-topic, since the OP is clearly not put off by the prospect of video.

I used to run subsurface as well but it only showed location after i manually entered it, this is not comparable to Garmin.
Sort of. When using Subsurface with my Shearwater, you are correct. When I download the dives from my Garmin to Subsurface, the location comes through as well. Desktop version only for the Garmin download, but then sync'd to Mobile.
Not as easy nor as accurately as automatically done like the Garmin and the user interface wasnt nearly as easy to work with for me. I also like seeing how far I go for drift dives or gow bad my navigation is upon exit:wink:
Agreed, not quite as easy, and only shows the one location.

Not sure if you saw, but Garmin recently added an app called Reference point (at least for MK2 versions). Not sure if I'll use it yet, but could be useful for shore divers. It's supposed to guide you during your surface swim to the dive site. It supposedly can use previous exit and entry spots or other specific points loaded to the DC.

Yep. And often multiple on the same memory card. I usually swap batteries between dives depending on status.

I've always found the battery to be the limiting factor (assuming starting with a clean memory card). Certainly works for a dive, but not a dive day in my experience. Usually dies somewhere near the end of the 2nd dive.

I found it was just as cumbersome to deal with uploading and editing a dozen hour-long files as it was to upload and try to piece together a hundred little files. I would spend more time doing this than diving, and so the raw footage just accumulated over trip after trip, me never getting around to dedicating a day to dealing with it. Maybe I just needed a faster computer and/or upload connection to the GoPro. I gave up trying to take GoPro video. I know, a bit off-topic, since the OP is clearly not put off by the prospect of video.
Just the uploading of 4k to my computer takes longer than I like! . Now I just do segments and push the button to mark when I think I have something good. If only that highlight mark would transfer to premiere along with the hindsight feature on the11 it might just be all id be a happy camper.

If you are a subscriber, you can use their editor unlimited, and it will auto pull all highlighted points and combine them with music for you. I have used this feature a few times as it is a serious easy button when I do not want to go through footage.
Sort of. When using Subsurface with my Shearwater, you are correct. When I download the dives from my Garmin to Subsurface, the location comes through as well. Desktop version only for the Garmin download, but then sync'd to Mobile.
Ah didnt realize you were talking about the garmin for subsurface, my bad:). Too bad Garmin seems to not let it be easy for an auto upload to subsurface..
Not sure if you saw, but Garmin recently added an app called Reference point (at least for MK2 versions). Not sure if I'll use it yet, but could be useful for shore divers. It's supposed to guide you during your surface swim to the dive site. It supposedly can use previous exit and entry spots or other specific points loaded to the DC.
No I have not, and this is interesting, I will check this out this weekend as I have a long surface swim coming up with gps locked in from before....
Huh? I record entire dives all the time with a Gopro.
There are multiple factors that affect battery and card recording time such as what quality you record at, temp and of course how long you can stay down:wink: . I have run out of battery before but always make sure I have enough memory.

Ah didnt realize you were talking about the garmin for subsurface, my bad:). Too bad Garmin seems to not let it be easy for an auto upload to subsurface..
Agreed. Would be nice if I could download directly to Subsurface Mobile, but I can live with the way it is. I download the dives while on the boat from Shearwater to Subsurface, but leave the location blank. I'll then update weighting and tank info, etc. When I get home, I'll pull the new dives from Garmin Connect to a location on my laptop. Then import via Subsurface. It pulls the missing info into the dive, and lets me view both profiles.
No I have not, and this is interesting, I will check this out this weekend as I have a long surface swim coming up with gps locked in from before....
Let me know how it goes. I believe you'll need Garmin Explore App to transfer any .gpx or .adm files you may have. I started to from my collection, but found it limited to 500 points/transfer. The file I was using has somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 waypoints. May still look into it a bit later, but I didn't want to break that file apart at the moment.

Outsource the editing of the full raw video, to trim shots of interest and correspond them to parts of the blog page (such as the answer to 'what was most memorable). An AI model could do it, but getting human help on Fiverr shouldn't cost more than $10 per edited video and perhaps less than $5 if its enough videos at once.

$10 a video huh? If you can find that on FIVER, go ahead but buyer beware. I edit, white balance and color match video (mostly my own and for the company I work for) but have done a couple commercial pieces. I charge $50/hour for editing and $75/hour for editing, WB and color match. I would shoot myself in the face if I only made $5 to edit a full dive video only to have someone who knows absolutely nothing about editing review my work and give me suggestions. But on FIVER, you are not getting divers to edit them which means you may not get the content you actually want.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom