Lesson learned the hard way, and my first dive experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullen1200

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Padi Open Water Course

Okay so my very first ocean dive we had a moderate to strong current with 4-5 foot waves. Given I had never even done a giant stride before (with gear on). So I land in the water. And I'm buoyant as heck, and I'm being pushed back by a really strong current back towards the boat. I struggle to realize why I cant go down and I figure that I have too much air in my bcd. I let a lot out, get my head under and swim as hard as I can to the line. (This is the sea emperor by the way, 50 feet deep on the top). I manage to grab a hold of the line. The current is so strong on the surface that it keeps me and my instructor/partner very horizontal. It was strong enough to make me want gloves just for the line. Okay so that dive was kinda cool. A bit boring cause there weren't a lot of fish, but it was a cool first experience.

Second dive....Was going great..till we do the safety stop, and my Attention deficit butt gets me into a lot of trouble. So we are at a safety stop with 2 minutes left. Im relaxing, not paying attention to anything really. Next thing I know, I'm at 4 ft, almost at the surface and everyone is down at 15ft still. Nobody had noticed. So naturally, not wanting to look like a moron I rocket myself back down, in a hope not to look dumb. I push as hard as I can, overshoot them down to 23 or so feet, and all of the time I hadnt equalized once. :shakehead:

Next thing I know im in such a WORLD OF PAIN in my left ear that im in near tears/moaning. I point at my ear a couple of times and someone comes and grabs onto my shoulders and tries to tell me to equalize. Truthfully, I was really confused on whether I should try to force it or not. I was trying but it wasnt working because I went way too far without equalizing, and a bunch of fluid had blocked it, probably cause of the acute pain/trauma or whatever. I really don't manage to equalize much and we surface. I get out and hold my ear for about 15 minutes before I even move. I really cant believe that I did that, I knew much better, and I had good teachers. It was just a lack of attention and thinking before doing that got me in trouble. Im such a calm person, and I never ever panic (near auto collisions..etc..)Anyways.. I was almost into a panic state at that point.

Yeah, it really really sucked. Especially since I had to do two dives the next morning. I made it sound like a lot more of an ordeal than it really was but it did suck. I would have put it off if I wasn't going to the Caribbean in a week. The next two dives I couldn't enjoy at all because we went down way too fast for me on my first one, I should have really signaled them to go slower. It was way way hard for me to equalize. So I was in somewhat bad pain the whole time I was down there. The second dive I explicitly told my instructor that I had to go real slow, so I just followed the line behind them and took my time to get to the bottom, and it was way easier. Saw a couple of cool fish, and a huuuuge lobster, that I only got a glimpse of.

Funnily enough, I had a blast just leaving the Intracoastal in waves that big. I got up on the bow of the ship and held on for dear life. I swear to god we were going up and down 15 feet every wave. I put a knee under a bar, held on with both hands and went along for the ride. When it was safe :)D) I headed back down and got ready. Swimming in a strong current isn't fun at all, but it was a cool experience at least, if not tiring.

I was really surprised to find that my TOES were killing me this morning. I suppose its from 4 dives, with no muscle at all in my toes. From the fin kicking I suppose.. It was so sore it hurt to walk/stand.

Very lengthy post, props if you mangaed to get through it all.

Having problems equalizing is not at all unusual for a lot of people beginning to dive. Remember to equalize early & often before & as you descend. If at anytime you can not equalize, immediately stop your descent & if need be, ascend a bit until you can equalize. If you continue to descend without equalizing, the pressure differences can be so great that you may not be able to equalize, even if you wanted to. If you are having pain in your ears, equalizing is going to probably be difficult, if not impossible. Try not to let it get to that point. Take your time on your descents

Currents are another problem & I'll be honest, I haven't had a huge amount of experience dealing with them since 85% of my diving is in fresh water quarries, so I won't be much help in that dept. They are another distraction, especially for a beginner who is trying to figure this new world out.

Don't let your bad experiences ruin the magic that awaits you. Learn from it. You sound like you're gung- ho for diving, that's good. Make sure your instructor knows of your equalizing difficulties, so that they can assist you, if need be. Keep up the good work. Good luck to you.

I assume your ears recovered, and I'm glad it's not otherwise.

Newbies as a class are incredibly hard on their ears, but they improve with experience, especially as they get their bouyancy under control, and I'm sure you will too. Whenever you feel pressured (no pun) to rush a descent for any reason, hopefully you'll remember this experience and take your time.

Whenever friends ask me about equalizing, I tell them they have 2 choices, either learn to equalize as fast as they descend, or learn to descend as slow as they equalize.

Congratulations on making it through a tough baptism, and best wishes for a great time on your upcoming trip.

Mullen...

Thanks for sharing your experience...I am always glad to see someone put it on the line to tell a somewhat embarassing story because it may well help another diver learn from your experience.

As for you...You will get it done. You had some very adverse conditions to deal with. Strong currents and 4-5 swells...not to mention the surge underwater that was generated from those swells...make for challenging dives.

Me thinks ya did ok.......Have fun in the tropics

Great responses so far, thanks.

I forgot to mention that about 6 weeks ago I had an ear infection that I let go for a while. Finally took care of it with some antibiotics but Im not sure it completely healed. (Especially since that was the ear that blew up on me)

Take care of your ears,dont push them if they are not cooperating,if they are being fussy just take it slow and easy. Many people have trouble with them,esp newer divers. That was some very adverse conditions for checkout dives,sounds like you did fine. It all gets easier as you add experience.

Greetings Mullen1200 and welcome to SB! It sounds like you had a interesting time on your check out dives. I can relate and as already mentioned beginning divers as a whole struggle with equalization. Do not fear it gets so much better with every dive!
It is a learned process that the more you dive the easier it gets. I find I equalize in and out of the water, it has helped me to not over do it, force it to hard! It is not a race to the bottom but a pleasant glide without pain!
In my first open water dives I to forced it and ended up hearing echos for a week!
No serious damage but still uncomfortable. Since the beginning I consulted a ENT who has helped me tremendously with my equalization.
Take very good care of your ears, they make or break a dive future!
The entire ocean awaits with some unbelievable adventures out there just for you!
Welcome to the diving community and SB, we are here to be of help in any way we can! Do not be afraid to ask ???, we all began just like you! No worries my friend.
Good luck and train hard to master your skills! ALWAYS, ALWAYS DIVE SAFE!
Never allow yourself to be forced into any situation on a dive you are not comfortable with! If your ears are hurting, DONT FORCE THEM!
Dive as much and as often as you can, experience will come on dive at a time!
Have fun exploring and keep us posted!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thank you for telling us your experience. If you find yourself having problems descending head first, try going foot first, and equalize more frequently. It does take some practice, but shouldn't be too difficult to master. Hope you enjoy your future in diving, take care and dive safe:vintagediver:

....they have 2 choices, either learn to equalize as fast as they descend, or learn to descend as slow as they equalize.

Excellent way of summing it up Don.

To the OP, congratulations on making it through what sound like some tough certification dives. It is kind of good to have certification dives that are far from perfect conditions because it gives you a taste of what you may be in for on future dives. I speak from experience, they get much better even if the conditions are much worse. Dive safely within your comfort and training and dive often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom