Lets talk ear plugs for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good idea on marking them. Ill do that this weekend. I have my AOW so Im sure I will get to use them a lot. i left them home both days this past weekend and didnt get to use them. I can feel the difference. Ill try not to dive without them from here on out. And yes, different things work differently for different people. They arent that expensive and are worth the gamble. Just dont forget to clean them guys. I use the same alcohol/vinager mix that i clean my ears with. you dont want to keep introducing the same bugs in your ear everytime you dive!!

I used the doc pro plugs for the first time last week in Roatan. They were wonderful. :D Normally by the end of the second/ beginning of the third day I begin have serious equalizing problems, I look like a yo-yo. Sudafed has not solved the problem. With the ear plugs I did 21 dives and never had a problem. We completed our deep diver specialty and I only had to equalize 2 times going down to 130', normally I would have been equalizing every 5-10 feet. On top of that when I normally equalize it can take a couple tries at each depth and some effort, with the plugs a jaw thrust was all it took.

I personal do not recommend the ones with leashes unless you are splitting it and attaching them to your mask. My husband had the leash kind figuring if one came out the leash would keep it for getting away. However the leash caught on his reg and he lost them on the first dive.

There is someone selling them on EBay for $8- a pair I am ordering more (already know the right size) so we always have spares for future trips.

my experience is the same, I normally start to have problems after a few days and Sudafed only helps so much. I started using the vented Pro plugs and they work great for me. I have them with the leash and like it that way, just easier to hang on to and I no problems with it catching on anything. But I also wear a light hoodie so that keeps things contained. I tie a knot in the leash to make it less dangly.

DeputyDan:
During my recent trip to Kona, Hawaii all of the instructors and DM's I dove with (except one) used ear plugs and swore by them. I was told that you have to purchase the correct size and that they kept out 95% of the water, with no negative effects on your ability to equalize.

I did not catch the manufacturer.

Any comments on where to purchase or experience with these?

Lots of responses to your question. I haven't read them all so can't comment on them. I CAN give you my experience.

After researching the subject I found there is no contraindication to using plugs like Doc's ProPlugs for Diving. There are two versions. The Diving Plugs have small holes in them and are ok for diving. The other's do not and are not.

I use them, especially in cold water. They work great. They make ear clearing much easier for me.

Folks who never have any trouble clearing their ears in the first place probably wouldn't benefit from them.

I keep mine in my mask box. They go in my ears when the mask goes on my face.

They are cheap enough it isn't worth a lot of effort checking them out. Buy a pair. They can't hurt you and might help.

I agree with ArticDiver try them for yourself. Do not knock them till you try them. When you consider what you pay for a dive trip what is $12 more dollars, especially if you are prone to equilizing problems?

Perhaps instead of using equipment, try to improve the technique with which you equalize?

Unless you have a medical condition, it's usually a technique issue.

Many of us know how to equalize, but still have problems. Equalize before you need to, great in theory but for those of us with problems it is not the answer.

I can go up and down just a foot or two 3-4 or more times and still have problems. I equalize go up/down a foot or two and then have to equalize again but can't; go up/down a foot maybe I can maybe I can't and have to ascend/descend some more , however until this point I am consciously equalizing before needing to. For those who do not have problems equalizing it is easy to say that those who do need better technique. I WISH IT WHERE THAT SIMPLE, IT IS NOT!

My ENT says that there is not a medical problem with my ears/sinuses that should keep me from diving and I enjoy diving too much to give it up thus had to find a better way to deal with this and Doc Pro provided that way. I am glad you can dive without this problem however until you have it do not accuses those who do of not having good technique.

I dont think he was trying to sound negative jwilmot. Hes a good diver and level headed. he wouldnt have said it if he didnt have some experience of his own in observing other divers and common diving issues. He was merely trying to offer some advice. I beleive he said what he said because of this----I only had to equalize 2 times going down to 130', normally I would have been equalizing every 5-10 feet.---. I believe the normal is to equalize every two feet or less. Experienced divers can equalize by swallowing or moving their jaw. even though they arent pinching their nose they are still equalizing. I can see where he may have assumed that you are not using standard techniques. every diver is different, if you can do it that way then thats you. All he was suggesting is that you might try a different technique like maybe equalizing constantly on the way down to see if that makes a difference. just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom