Letter to the Editor...............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large diver,

The examples are located in the archives of this forum & the other forums.

I did not start this to rehash any of the things that have happened in the past. But to get people to open their eyes and use their brains so we see fewer of the incidents that have happened.

ID

I believe you are right on target. Since I certified last month, the biggest problem I have faced is finding someone to dive with.

The dive shop I certified through was only interested in me as long as I was writing checks. When I ask them for suggestions on meeting up with other people to dive with; their only suggestion is to "take some more classes", again interested in my checkbook. Excuse me if I sound cynical, it's only because I am getting that way.

I'm afraid that the more experienced divers you refer to are more interested in testing their own limits or forming "social clubs" than being a "big brother" to a new diver. You are obviously the exception.

As a result, I am afraid I am going to be arriving for my day in Cozumel with much less experience than I had hoped.

Hmmm, maybe I should start a clearinghouse for unpaired new divers, call it The Buddy Barn.

Jimbo

It seems to me that a few (not the majority) of dive instructers, divemasters, captains, outfitters, and operators (especially in the underdeveloped countries) are not as experienced or interested in their own diving abilities as they should be (50 dives qualifies you to be an instructor?)and many times are lacking properly maintained and quality equipment. Most of the tragic accidents that occur start off as a small problem that compounds itself into more serious issue that could have been prevented.

Most new and inexperienced vacation divers expect to be babysat and don't even take resposibility for their dive profiles (some don't even have a bottom timer). On top of that they dive gear asssembled by someone else and usally don't even double check the setup. They go down when the DM says to and come up when they say to. While this practice of being underwater tour guides is good for giving people the opportunity to get underwater and experience diving, it does not expand their abilities and experience. It teaches them to be more irresponsible. Now we can only imagine what is going to happen when they venture out on their own.

I think a good solution to this would be for diving professionals to provide critiques (done constructively and in private if necessary) after all outings. How else can we expect people to become better divers if we are not willing to take a few minutes out to provide some instruction and compliments to a diver's skills?

Together we can make a difference!

Do I have your attention?

We have all seen the problems and have come up with some pretty good solutions.

There are almost 1500 ScubaSource members, that's a pretty large group. One of the largest groups of divers in the world. And we are global.

If we formed a world wide organization, with regional clubs, just think of what we could accomplish in this industry.

We could make the industry cater to us instead of us catering to the industry. We could get equipment we want instead of what they offer. All other industries cater to the customers, not the dive industry. We can only get what they offer.

The opportunities for us are endless!
Think about it.........need some feed back here.

ID

You know, that's the core of what's wrong with most of the scuba agencies today, vacation divers. I'm sure nobody here fits that bill, else you wouldn't be here, but let's face it, we are vastly out-numbered by "vacation divers". They control the scuba industry and it's direction. Just look around and you'll see exactly what I mean. A vacation diver wants someone to hold their hand, tell them when their low on air, set their gear up for them, tell them how long to stay down, and etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I hardly think that a new diver with 4 cert dives is ready to go at it alone and praise those who relize that and seek further instruction, leadership and etc.

The biggest problem with training that I see is that it doesn't teach you much. Takes some of PADI's specialities for example. Boat Diver, now what kind of speciality is that? No offense to anyone that has taken it, but that's just plain for the $ and no other reason. Make a few dives from a boat and you're a "Boat Diver", WOW! Give me a break. But I, guess that's just my nature, I try to never do anything half-ass. Always itching to learn more and diving is no exception.

I guess the program I've been through this year has been the exception to the rule. Of the six students who finished my open water class, four of us are actively diving. The next class with the same instructors three of three are actively diving.

I have no idea how to fix the "vacation diver" problem... I must dive where I live & my first big trip is not to a balmy tropical destination, It's to Canada. I can't imagine how or why anyone would feel safe or confident, or be relaxed enough to enjoy diving if you don't practice it.

Also I've been really lucky to have found buddies who are as fanatical (or more!) as I am about diving.

Sorry man... gotta go, my BCD is drying out.

-kate

ID you make some very good points. I would love the dive industry to cater to us instead of the other way around. There have been several things I've gone into the dive shop for only to find out I can't have what I want but only what they offer. I know the vacation divers outnumber us and the "$" classes, Warhammer mentioned, are more important to the shops than the seasoned diver. Not real sure what the answer is but I am interested in doing whatever it would take to turn things around.
Ldreamin

We the chosen........

There is power in numbers, we the "seasoned" divers are the ones that spend the money year after year. Ask yourself this....How many BCs have I bought, regs, fins, masks, gadgets. I am sure the amounts will startle you. While the vacation diver very rarely spends any more money after the initial purchase. We are where the power is to change things around and get this back on the correct track.

Maybe a new certification "Hard Core Diver"

ID

LOL.....ID
The "hard core diver" certification will probably be the next one they come up with but they don't need to look for me in the class...
Ldreamin

Back
Top Bottom