letting others down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first dive out of my course was with my partner and friends off a boat. I had a 18 minute dive before I hit 50bar! Things get better with practice!
I know the feeling.

Third dive post OW cert, I was having issues with cylinders (rentals). We were in a large group with communal tanks so it was a case of pick a tank, dive it, return it empty, grab another etc. Problem was that the first tank I grabbed had a dented valve (the din fitting wouldn't seal) so I grabbed another (it had tape over the valve to indicate a full tank) which masked the yoke insert, so I had to go back to the van for an allen key to remove it. The valve was stuck, so the tank was passed to a colleague who was diving yoke, and I went back to the van a fourth time to get a tank. Only one left was a dumpy one (short and fat) so I had to alter my cam band so by the time I hit the water, my buddy had been ready for about 5 mins. Needless to say it took me about 5 mins to calm down and relax. Ended the dive with 50 bar left at 20 mins (after starting with 230).

The following dive was near enough the same profile but I had had a decent SI, some lunch, a can of soda and relaxed a lot more and got 45 mins out of an identical tank (started at 220). So more than double the dive time on less gas.

Frankly, if my buddy went chasing a fish to 37m, leaving me behind and created a situation that the dive guide had to go and get them, I'd see that as letting me down.
I have to agree with this one.

Sounds to me after reading your initial post @Antmany2k your buddy failed you. Seeing as you have just a few dives in at the dive he should have not left you like that especially if you are having air issues.
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/members/antmany2k.476134/
In this thread there have been some great suggestions about how to help, I'm going to throw out another one -- swim laps. IT will help with breathing technique quite a bit. It will also help with leg strength. There have many times before I go on a decent trip about a month or before I hit the pool and start doing laps again and I find that it really helps.

Just remember to relax, the more you worry about the more you will consume air.

@Antmany2k

Firstly. Don't worry if you use more of less gas than someone else. It's something all new divers do, but the more you fret the more you will consume.

Everyone is different. I dive a 15L steel, my wife a 12L steel. At the end of a dive she will have used 30Bar less than me, which means I've used an additional 900 litres of gas. I have a couple of friends, both instructors. He is 6'5 she 5'0. At the end of the dive they he has used 20bar less (they both dive the same size tanks). The point here is to prove that everyone will use different quantities of gas on a dive.

You are right, with experience come reduced gas consumption. This will be down to you buoyancy and trim being better, less weight required and being more relaxed. Personal fitness does play a part but not so much as people like to make out

When you are a new diver you can be easily stressed by things, normally this manifests itself in a change of buoyancy (normally positive) To a certain extent its a Sub-conscious thing. Your body has a "fight or flight in built reaction" in times of stress your diaphragm drops giving you greater lung capacity (thus more buoyancy)

Now this can be because you feel out of control, or perhaps you are task loaded (that's why divers practice skills) you could be in a current or all manner of things. The more you dive the less this happens which allows you to carry less lead

Breathing: The books always say use a normal breath. You need to find the mid point of your lungs so when you breath in and out there is still capacity at either end to fully exhale or fully inhale. A normal breath is around that point. Also think a rhythm, Breath in... Pause... Breath out... Pause achieve a nice slow rhythm (try a slow count of 5 for each as a start point)

Read this Blog for fine Buoyancy control

Carry out a weight check at the end of every dive and if you are heavy take a little off each time. Be aware at your safety stop how much air you have in your BCD (can you still dump) Ideally you should be slightly heavy.

You have to go slowly it takes time to become relaxed underwater, at first you might get to that place then something disturbs you your buoyancy changes (normally positive) likewise when you worry about your gas contents you talk yourself into bad consumption

Set yourself little milestones, perhaps removing 1kg per dive day or surfacing with 10 bar more than you did before. Know what your contents generally are at say 20 mins (it that's your halfway point ) give yourself a mental pat on the back if you don't reach that gas level until say 25 mins. Or whatever.

The fact is no two people are the same, so don't compare yourself with others, compare yourself with yourself. And most of all, enjoy your diving

Back
Top Bottom