Level of gear to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflybldr:
Ok, I'm back from the shop. Here's what I learned (in no particular order) ...

I wore the Blackhawk for an hour and never wanted to take it off :)
Both the boy and I are very comfortable in the ocean, so we probably won't mind the back inflate on the surface.

BH BCD comes with AIR2 (helped on price again)

Had a long talk about advantages of buying SP at LDS. It seems worth the $75 over online price for the regs.

Found 2 2005' MK25/S600 setups, (helped on price)

Cobra was $53 over online price. (gets me factory service)
Only have to buy one computer interface.

It's alot of coin, but here are my thoughts.

1. The LDS will be much more motivated to help me setup my equipment.

2. We will both have identical stuff so we can help in an emergency because we already know how it works.

3. It seems even more important as a newbe to not have to compensate for unfamiliar equipment during info overload at -80ft (sorry, still being a pilot)

4. We are not trying this to see if we like it. (like maybe a spouse that has "issues" with the environment)

5. Worst case, it seems like these choices move fast on the secondary market.

6. Who can really "afford" this sport, but I don't have to finance it.

7. You should see the boys grades! He has earned it.

6. It all looks cool. Hey, at least I'm honest.

7. Lifetime warrenty on all equipment.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, it really does help.

BTW, the shop recommended that we dive Nitrox on the OW cert dives, then we just take the class for the specialty. Maybe a new thread?

Thanks

Came to this thread late but I'll add my 2 cents. I think you're making great choices all around, not only in the equipment but your thought process and how you're going about it.

Some other random thoughts, I have a Balance BC which is back inflate, I love it and the crap about getting pushed face down in the water is garbage IMHO. My brother-in-law has the blackhawk and he loves that. I dive a Vyper which is the same as the Cobra without the air integration, great dive computer.

You'll hear a strong opposite opinion on everything dive related on this board. Very healthy because it presents different thoughts and attitudes on diving. You still need to decide what's right for YOU not whats right for Joey from Mars.

Good luck, have fun and keep up the GREAT attitude.

JR

Any new rec diver would be well-advised to buy high-performance gear, preferably brands and models preferred by technical guys...that way you get good equipment, and I, er I mean 'they,' have a good selection of used stuff if you bail on the sport.

You will hear all kinds of advice about renting vs. buying (most of which comes from people who have bought). If you have the money, then go ahead and get the best gear that can fit your needs.

Personally, when it comes to life support equipment we were not comfortable with renting gear we had no idea about the condition and service history. Is there possibilities that we will need to upgrade or purchase something different in the future - sure. But hey, that's why we work. The gear we have not will certainly get us through the first number of years diving.

Best of luck and have fun.

Here's a site that's helped me

Bitz Scuba Diving Equipment Guide

Check out the section on regulators... I like how they have a chart explaining the progression thru tech.... o

My Philosophy...

Every dollar in rent is a dollar wasted. You'll never get them back. If you buy your gear, you can always sell your gear and recoup a good bit of the money... especially if you buy quality... and the gear you mention is definately quality.

Scubapro gear and a few other manufacturers hold very good value. Stay away from the lesser brands as they depreciate faster than a new car... Happy Diving!

I went with a Golum BackPlate/SS Wing set up to train on....This surprised many people as it's a rare request for someone just starting out to want to learn w/ a BP/W rather then a jacket style BC....but Since I've had a lot of exposure that most people would not prior to learning scuba....having tried on both styles...I knew which I felt more comfortable in...and rather then learn witht he jacket style BC...and then as many are now sweitching over and relearning and reconfiguring a BP/W set up...I figured...I'll just start with what I know I want to use

*smile*

Wow! You guys (and girls) are great! Tons of things to think about.

Backup analog guages seem to be something I forgot. I guess it would'nt hurt to have a small set clipped somewhere.

BTW, I will be in Destin/Ft Walton Beach feb 12 thru 18 for work. Any suggestions on dive shops in the area? Also divers in the area too?

The shop has a Knightwawk I can rent and I can trade if only used in the pool.

I am also happy I have a place to share my experiences as my boy and I go thru what I hope to a life long connection for us. (looking forward to meeting some nice people too)

Tom in Tucson

dflybldr:
I am also happy I have a place to share my experiences as my boy and I go thru what I hope to a life long connection for us.

My dad and I began diving together when I was 14. I am 35 now. We have been all over diving and fishing together, and I would not trade those moments with him for the world. His age does not allow him to dive the same enviornments we used to several years ago, but we still head to the Keys together once or twice a year to dive some shallow reefs, the Benwood, or the like. I am fortunate where scuba diving has taken me to many places all over the world, but these shallow dives in South Florida with my dad are still by far the best.

Back
Top Bottom