Level with me...how much do I REALLY need to spend on a reg and BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving and don't plan to go out right away and do anything toooo crazy. I'm more interested in having the right equipment and certification for some kick-ass underwater sightseeing, and that's about it. So seriously...how much do I really need to spend on gear?

REALLY-----300 for regs/200 BC....that's all.....

And how much if he wants to see his family again ?
More likely:
reg. 300+
octo 85-100
console 150
BC 350+

Go to your local dive shop and ask their opinion. Then cut at least 30% off their estimate. :)

When my girlfriend was getting certified I got to watch the LDS try to sell her gear. I had warned her before about the numbers she'd be hearing, and not to worry because it was not going to be as expensive as the shop wanted it to be.

She still just about passed out when she heard that the right BCD for her would be $800 and decent regs start at $600. She bought things from the shop when prices were reasonable, because she does want to support local businesses... but not so much that she'd spend nearly twice as much as she had to on some items.

Somewhere between post # 2 and #3.

The lawyers have pretty much made sure any set of gear will get you home alive if you know what you are doing. The most important thing is for you to do your homework and find what is a good value for you, then you will have a useful answer.

Becoming gear savvy is harder than getting certified.

Pete

Here is how I do it:

I'm not saying buy the most expensive gear you can find.

Do it this way:

1) Decide what features, endurance etc your really need in your gear. Remember if you're planning to become a diving pro you'll put more miles (or is it knots) on your gear than a holiday diver will.

2) Find a few different rigs from different manufacturers and compare the quality. Don't look at price yet.

3) Take your top 3 or 4 and find the best price you can get for each.

4) Now decide which set is the best value FOR YOU.

I think you'll find that sometime paying a bit more will give you much higher quality and when you're talking about gear that is designed to keep you alive in a hostile environment that's never a bad thing.

BTW, 1 of my 3 complete rigs is 90% Used Gear. Got it all serviced before using and have tested the **** out of it but I trust it with my life even being 10 years old. Yes it was top of the line in it's day and has stood the test of time.

Welcome to the forum scubagal.

Just my 2CW but I would spend as much as I could afford on a quality set of regs (for your conditions) first. They are the main component of your life support system and a good set can last 20+ years with care. Many people complain about initially buying the wrong BCD, computer, exposure suit etc... but you never hear anyone complain about buying too good a reg set.

How much a good set costs I can't tell you (Canada/US pricing is messed up)

For BCD or BP/W I'd say rent several different styles/brands and see what you like. Try not to be swayed by glitzy doo dads and such. Look for robust, simple and functional. Easy to don and doff. My first jacket BCD was OK but it had too many adjustment straps (I never used) and all the wrong D rings in the wrong spots. My newer BCD, a BP/W is simpler, cleaner and cheaper :shocked2: but that's just my preference. One of my buddies dives a Zeagle in the same conditions, just as well.

For a computer I dive a cheap Sunnto Gekko and it serves me well recreationally (as would other base models). I don't need to download my dives to a PC (even though the Gekko can be tricked into doing it). The toys like AI and PC compatable may be fun but not neccisary. If you think more advanced diving is in your future look into a more appropriate computer (or none at all :eyebrow: ).

Exposure suit? I don't know Texas enough to comment.

Mask. Price does not matter. The thing to look for is a good fit. A cheap mask is useless if it leaks all the time and a good sealing mask is priceless.

Fins. I bought my Jets for $10 at a second hand store and they do the job. There are so many good used fins out there so try not to spend $300 on a new set unless you are afraid of fin cooties.

Snorkel (if you must). The cheapest, simplest model possible. If you're patient enough you will find plenty on the bottom anyways so you don't need to buy one.

Cutting tools. A small, good quality blunt nosed knife or EMT shears.

The book "Doing it right; The fundementals of better diving" by Jarrod Jablonski. I paid about $33 Can. (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Two words: [-]second mortgage[/-] Buy Used.

This is particularly true in the BC market as manufacturers insist upon making insignificant changes (often color schemes) to their lineup so that they can have a "new" offering year in and year out. The fundamental soundness or usability of the product doesn't necessarily change from MY2008 to MY2009.

A few things to keep in mind while shopping for gear:

1. Whenever possible, try before you buy,
  2. Concern yourself with the base functionality of each item, and
  3. Cost does not necessary reflect quality.
Avoid gimmicks. While it may be hard to identify them with little dive experience, if it doesn't pass your giggle test, it's likely not worth it. The base functionality of a regulator is to deliver gas. Does it need exotic metals to do so (and if so why aren't all regulators utilizing titanium castings)? The base functionality of a BC is to attach your tank to your back and compensate for buoyancy changes with depth. Does it need an up/down lever to do so? etc.

Given their purpose, I'd encourage you to spend equally on your primary and secondary regulator second stages. I'm not sure about the temperatures in Texas (I assume it's warmer there than here), but exposure protection should be a primary consideration, not an afterthought. A decent suit is, IMO, among the three most important pieces of dive gear (along with a well-breathing regulator and a well-fitting mask). YMMV (I've always wanted to say that).

I'm new to diving and don't plan to go out right away and do anything toooo crazy. I'm more interested in having the right equipment and certification for some kick-ass underwater sightseeing, and that's about it. So seriously...how much do I really need to spend on gear?

Depends on how much you have of each:

• Time
  • Money
  • Knowledge (yours or a friends)
  • Patience
I bought a really top-shelf regulator on eBay for $50. It's old, but breathes like a dream and parts are still available.

I also have a really nice Atomic Aquatics reg that ran about $700 that breathes equally well, but I bought it new.

The difference is that the first one took some knowledge, patience and luck, but not much money, while the second one took a bunch of money but little else.

I'd definitely recommend you buy a good regulator, although not necessarily new.

You'll need a depth gauge and a pressure gauge, although if you buy used, there's a good chance you'll get one for free with the reg.

You'll also need mask, snorkel, fins and appropriate exposure protection (wetsuit).

You can buy the fins used for not much money, although I'd go "new" on the rest of it, just for the "yuck" factor (I don't want to wear a used wetsuit).

The BC is a judgement call if you go used, since it's fabric and hard to tell exactly what shape it's in without seeing it in person.

It would be great to get tanks, since this means you can dive any time you feel like it.

Anyway, depending on your choices, you can get completely outfit for anywhere between about $500 and $3500 depending on whether you go for new or used and what you select.

Good luck!

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom