Liability... Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the key points in international law is choice of laws. Where a law suit is for negligence, generally the law to be applied is the law of the jurisdiction where the negligence occurred. So in your example it is likely that Phillippine law would apply. Venue, the place of trial, is a different consideration. Generally, the place of filing and trying a law suit could be either the place where the injury took place, or where residence of the Defendant is found. There are both subject matter jurisdiction issues and personal jurisdicition issues that impact where a person might choose to bring a law suit. Short answers on Scuba Board are not definitive. If the matter arises, call me. I will charge ny $320.00 hourly rate, which I can when I am being a lawyer, my day job for the past 38 years..
DivemasterDennis

One hopes that even as a foreigner, employee, temp, contractor, or whatever you are, that you have insurance which doesn't have a whole batch of exclusion clauses in it. Where you might be sued, or what treaties and extradition might be involved, changes from year to year. Our US Congress just opened up a deluxe sized can of worms by overriding a presidential veto in the matter of suing foreign governments yesterday.

Just hope you don't kill a Texan. Texas gets upset about that, but you might get away with it.
Whatever you do, don't steal a Texan's horse, you WILL get hung for that.
Texas is one of our "special" places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom