Life jacket for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
my wife is not so good at swimming, she likes to do snorkeling only in the low water before the coral reef or otherwise out of the reef in the deep but wearing a life jacket. Can you give me a suggestion to buy a life vest/jacket suitable for snorkeling?
I am from Italy, I can order products available in continental Europe or I can also wait and order from China
Thank you

Order a snorkel vest. This is what they look like. You can increase or decrease the buoyancy which is better than a life jacket.

41MTj0YHDbL.jpg

I already bought her one, very similar to the one you posted, but she feels uncomfortable with it. She really liked snorkeling with the life jacket instead

A low profile water ski vest/jacket should fill her needs. A true life vest, one that will attempt to keep your face out of the water even if you unconscious (like the ones issued on cruise ships), is not suitable for snorkeling because of the bulkiness, drag, and tendency to try to float you upright. You can find the water ski vests/jackets online (think Amazon.com), and in most sporting goods stores that are anywhere near water skiing opportunities in Italy.

Yes, the water ski vest/jacket is exactly the kind she needs
The pictures are similar to the one she used in our last vacation
Do you think most of them would be good or there is a specific type/brand she should consider?
Because I don't think she could try it in the water of course

Like wetsuits, it is best to try on the ski vest because thickness, comfort and fit will vary. All will keep her afloat; it is just a matter of which one feels best on her, and how much she will be using the vest. Obviously a ski vest used by a frequent and avid skier/snorkeler will likely be of higher quality/more expensive than one needed by someone that just uses it a few days a year. If she likes the fit in the store, she should have no problems in the water. If you have to travel to snorkel, I would try to find one that has less bulk and weight. That is why most snorkelers use the snorkel vest as lucioman showed you. However, I do understand that a lot of people feel more comfortable and secure with a vest that wraps around their entire torso, giving them a nice cozy feel.

Thank you all for your suggestions
I will bring her to a specialized shop so she can decide herself (and not question my choice if buy her one also!)

Back
Top Bottom