lifetime and guarantee divecomputer (again problems with uwatec 2g)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
-Beginning of november 2010, I bought a divecomputer, the Uwatec 2g.
-May 2011, it flooded where the battery is placed. I never replaced the battery.
-I got a new one under garantuee (perfect).
-december 2011, it was not flooded, but didn't work well (after a dive to 35 m it gave a desaturation time of over 72 hours and I was already 4 days out of the water, I couldn't switch nitroxpercents, etc).
-I got a new one under guarantee
-Last sunday during 2 dives it gaves strange values. 1 dive I tried the switch, and it gave a switch at 23,6m to 50%.
-Last monday, it didn't do anything anymore, completely dead. I replaced battery, but nothing, still dead.

I go back to the shop of course. But 3 divecomputers 'died' in less than 3 years.
I know another diver that had replaced the same computer 1 time under guarantee.
What is a normal lifetime of a divecomputer? these computers are really bad. I expect now again a new one of course. But I must have a reliable computer. I use it as a bottomtimer for technical dives because you see seconds then.
The simple uwatec digital 330 is not enough for me, because I want to upload diveprofiles to my pc too. And if I dive with non techdivers I want to know it we reach the ndl's during a dive.

Sorry to hear that. Mine has worked perfectly ever since I bought it.

Wow that sounds really bad. I have had a only one computer have problems and like yours was replaced.

But a warning to you and others. With many/most manufacturers when a replacement product is sent the warranty does not start over. So if the computer has a three warranty and you bought it in Nov 201 your warranty may well end on Nov 2013 regardless of how many replacements they have sent. So when you get the new computer check to see when the warranty expires.

-Beginning of november 2010, I bought a divecomputer, the Uwatec 2g.
I use it as a bottomtimer for technical dives because you see seconds then.
The simple uwatec digital 330 is not enough for me, because I want to upload diveprofiles to my pc too. And if I dive with non techdivers I want to know it we reach the ndl's during a dive.

The Liquivision Xen was designed to replace the 2g and 330-BT. You should find it much more reliable.

Eric Fattah

And it costs more, a Xen is a total different product with oled etc. I wanted a divecomputer with bottomtime function and I want to download profiles to my pc. No more. The 330 has no seconds on it, and you cannot download profiles and you cannot replace batterys.
If I buy a divecomputer, I expect that is works longer than 250 dives. I know I am not the only diver with this problem with the 2g. Even the most simple divecomputer where you can replace a battery yourself must work longer than the lifetime of a battery. And my battery is not empty (lifetime 200-300 dives according to the manufacturer), last week there where '4 lines out of the max. 6', so not empty.
I hope Uwatec will replace it again (like they did 2 times earlier). I will let you all know if I get a new one or not.

I have had a Scubapro Galileo SOL since 07 and literally hundreds of dives with 0 issues (the transmitter is another subject. I have had 3 of those). It has a tri-mix upgrade and many user variables including deep stop, multi-gas diving, and workload measurement. There’s a reason Uwatec got into trouble...

Before that I had a USDivers horseless air-integrated computer I returned several times (it was the early days of this technology 1999). That one lasted about 6 years and failed because of stress on the plastic case.

I also have on my other wrist a TUSA IQ-850 series vibrating computer which I like very much. It is built like a tank (steel case) and cost me around 200 (299? maybe) from leisure pro.

I dive enough that unless a computer does something amazing I want one with a metal case and good screen protector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom