"Lifetime" warranty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyQuest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been driving myself crazy between ScubaPro MK25/600 and the AquaLung Legand LX as my next reg. I just read the fine print on the AL page. Here it is:

They pro-rate replacement values of defective regulators as follows:

Aqua Lung Pays / Customer Pays
Like new and less than 2 years old 100% / 0%
Slightly used and less than 5 years old 75% / 25%
Very used and/or more than 5 years old 50% / 50%
Worn out 0% 100%"

So much for Lifetime! AL essentialy says their regs have a "useable" life of 5 years. And they get to define "worn out". (That applies to Apeks and SeaQuest too.) SP has no such limits and includes free parts forever. Boy am I glad I read the fine print! Decision made! I'm buying SP!

http://www.aqualung.com/wtypage.htm

Actually, you misread the warranty.

Aqualung's warranty IS a lifetime parts policy, if you bring your reg in every year for service. It gets an overhaul Every OTHER year, and an INSPECTION in the off years.

That paragraph refers mopre to BC's and computers, and other hard goods... Its kinda misleading for the regs...

Mostly refers to other parts not service kits (like first stage body or 2nd stg housing).

I would rethink your choice of reg, because you made a decision on inaccurate info...

Click on the link in my above e-mail and read it for yourself. Here is the quote:

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Coverage on buoyancy compensators, regulators, and alternate air sources, covers the product throughout its useful life and is subject to all the conditions of the Limited Warranty and utilizes the pro-rated replacement policy*. (They underline "throughout ITS useful life")

These limited warranties are extended only to the original purchaser for products purchased directly from an authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer, and are not transferable.

These warranties are limited to repair or replacement at the discretion of Aqua Lung America.

*Product Replacement on a Pro-Rated Basis

Products under the Limited Lifetime Warranty that malfunction due to material or manufacturer defects that have also had a significant amount of use will be replaced on a pro-rated basis. Pro-rating will be determined by a percentage factor based on the condition of the product and how long the product was used prior to the warranty claim. This can be useful to evaluate Limited Lifetime Warranty claims since the warranty period is for the "useful life of the product" and not a set length of time. The following guidelines should be used in determining what pro-rated percentage will be used.

Tell me what I'm reading wrong.

You are not reading it wrong, per se...

However, let me assure you, that Aqualung gives a lifetime warranty on service kits (every other year) as long as you keep records of you servicing and bring it in every year for either inspection or overhaul. You would still pay for labor...

Just to let you know, I am the store manager of an Aqualung dealer/ shop. I also, just to make sure I had the correct info, just called customer service at Aqualung just to make sure they didnt recently change their policy without me knowing it. They have not.

Still lifetime warranty...

That paragraph refers to the whole reg (as in, if a customer wanted the whole thing replaced, or something, due to defects or something...)...

If you have any other questions about warranty issues, Please PM me or email me at Chuck@ecdivers.com...

Ok, things are getting a little clearer. The AL warranty does say REPLACEMENT will be done on a pro-rated basis. It does NOT say that repairs will be made on a pro-rated basic. However, it does say that the determination of whether repair or replacement is needed will be based on the decision of AL. So technically, they could say your 10-year-old reg. is "worn out" (their words) and has to be retired (is beyond repair). If they make that call, they pay zero and you throw your reg. in the trash. Since that "could" be done, it does make me comfortable. Having someone at AL headquarters tell me, "that won't happen" does not mean much to me. (That's NOT you I'm referring to)

I would strongly recommend that you call them and suggest that they clarify their warranty declaration. When I compare it to the ScubaPro warranty, the SP warranty is unambiguous.

In any event, I really do appreciate your input and offer to contact you directly. I may do that.

Thanks.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. That's fine, from what I hear ScubaPro Regs are pretty awesome regs.
I myself am not really a fan of ScubaPro gear. I have also made my mind up for an Apeks ATX200 or ATX50.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that the scubapro reg is the right one based on your understanding of the warranty. If your mind has been made up then go with the ScubaPro, I don't think you will regret it.

Seems like this is just something to protect themselves from people who come back with a BC that's worn through the bladder and demand a replacement according to the lifetime warranty.

JohnnyQuest once bubbled...
I've been driving myself crazy between ScubaPro MK25/600 and the AquaLung Legand LX as my next reg. I just read the fine print on the AL page. Here it is:

They pro-rate replacement values of defective regulators as follows:

Aqua Lung Pays / Customer Pays
Like new and less than 2 years old 100% / 0%
Slightly used and less than 5 years old 75% / 25%
Very used and/or more than 5 years old 50% / 50%
Worn out 0% 100%"

So much for Lifetime! AL essentialy says their regs have a "useable" life of 5 years. And they get to define "worn out". (That applies to Apeks and SeaQuest too.) SP has no such limits and includes free parts forever. Boy am I glad I read the fine print! Decision made! I'm buying SP!

http://www.aqualung.com/wtypage.htm

Yerba,
Actually I was trying to convince myself TO buy AL. I was convinced until I read the warranty. However, I believe Chuck's explanation of the situation is correct. I also spoke to my local dealer and he assures me the same things that Chuck does. So, I probably will end up with the Legend LX. Out of curiosity, why are you not a SP fan?

Back
Top Bottom