Lift BAG VS sIGNAL sAUSAGE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What do you see as the advantages of using a lift bag or signal sausage? (Assume a large sausage)?

GDI:
What do you see as the advantages of using a lift bag or signal sausage? (Assume a large sausage)?

Don't really understand what you're getting at. The two items are constructed differently even if you chose two that had the same volume.
A lift bag has reinforced fixings at the base and is normally rounder ie the objective is lifting without tearing, visibility is not important.
On the other hand a signal sausage is designed to protrude upwards and be seen. Where the cord fixes to the sausage is rarely reinforced and if you tried to fill it completely at depth, in many cases the cord would tear out. Also signal sausages normally have some kind of valve to keep the air in at the surface. Lift bags have to allow spillage.

FredT exactly,
I have a sausage that has 50lb lift and the rigging straps are similar to my lift bags with the bottom open for that boyles law thing. The way I see it this is better than just a standard lift bag because of the higher visibilty it will have at the surface. I may have suggested my question as a poll that might have been better in format

Use the big signal saussage so the boat can see you.

leadweight:

That's why I carry either a 75 or 110 pound Carter personal float bag. They are big and rugged enough to be useful in raising salvage, but small enough to stow well underneath a backplate in the slip stream.

It's been deployed several times both as a salvage tool and as a "fetch me" stick. Worked quite well both ways.

For "serious" lifting I have access to several Carter pillow and boulder bags up to 2000 pounds lift each, but they are not "routine" diving equipment.

FT

leadweight:

I am in no doubt as to which one I carry, I carry the tube. Many divers for some reason are locked on the bag. Hence my question

FWIW I use a sausage for drifting, and a lift bag for lifting things (anchors, mostly,
though during the Kailua Pier cleanup two years ago my wife and I lifted a shopping
cart full of old bottles. Got the prize for the biggest thing hauled off the bottom).

Lift bags are for lifting, signalling sausages are for signalling and for deco while drifting.

It does not make a lot of sense to use a lift bag for deco, although some tech divers do it that way, and some tech instructors teach it that way. I prefer the signalling sausages for deco, if you are going to deco away from the ascent line of the boat.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom