lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinks for the info. I figured there was more uses. Then just lifting things of the bottom. I will probable go with a 50lb. Carter.
I will have to remember not hook my reel to the anchor line.

I don't understand shoot the bag. I wouldn't think the reel line would be big enough to do any good.:confused:

hey I'm not telling you what to buy but if you plan on diving alot of wrecks I would go for the 100lb bag right away just to have it you never know what ur gonna find. One dive I found the anchor that looked to belong to a dive boat or Charter fishing boat is was pretty big i dunno if a 50lb bag would have gotten it up. but if your only gonna use as a line if you cant find the anchor a 50lb bag is fine. Shooting the bag is a term you'll hear by wreck divers or almost any diver that went up their reel and bag. Shooting the bag just means clipping your reel to your lift bag and sending your lift bag to the surface ( you now have an ascent line) just besure you either tie off your line to something or go under something so the bag goes up the one side of whatever ur at and you go up with the reel on the other side. then when ur on the surface you should be able to just unclip your back and clip it off on you or hold then reel in the line having it go back down to the bottom and under the piece of wreck then back up to you or if you tied off to the wreck you can just got the clip off your line and let the old line settle to the bottom.

Thanks for explaining shoot the bag. I could see myself taken the express elevator to the surface. Okay 100lb. Bag it will be. It’s always better to have more then you need.

good idea thats how I look at it to when you are depending on it underwater I think you always want more then you need

You dont want to use a 100lb bag though to lift a 20lb item do you? If you do will need to float up with the bag to release expanding air as it ascends. Otherwise the lift becomes too positively buoyant and rises too fast. This could result in a whiplash effect at the surface which could result in whatever your lifting breaking free and coming back down on top of you.

With a lift bag properly sized to the item your lifting, expanding air simply flows out from beneath the lift bag as it expands, thereby keeping the lift only slightly positively buoyant.

If you plan to stay with the lift bag to the surface anyway, I guess its okay to use a "too large" lift bag, venting expanding air as you ascend.

I dont have a lift bag yet, but doubt I will ever be lifting anything heavier than 50lbs from the bottom. Unless of course I stumble across that trunkload of gold someday. I could always raise that one bar at a time!! :)

I've got a Halcyon 80lb closed cell bag which i alway carry with me in my backplate pouch and a reel.

I have never had any probs with the bag, and it has never split as it does have a presuure relief valve buildt into it.

I use a 100# bag and a Jersey Up-Reel. I have no idea what brand the bag is. I wrap the bag neatly around the reel and secure it with a large rubber band. I then take the reel and attach it to the left side of my tank with a piece of surgical tubing around the top and bottom handles. When I need the reel, I pull off the bottom surgical tubing and the reel falls out of the top one.

If you do will need to float up with the bag to release expanding air as it ascends. Otherwise the lift becomes too positively buoyant and rises too fast. This could result in a whiplash effect at the surface which could result in whatever your lifting breaking free and coming back down on top of you.

ScubyDoo, I never send anything up to the surface by itself. I always have a line on the liftbag, and that way I can control the ascent. I then tie off the line on the bottom. By the way, I use 1/4" sisal on my reel. That way when I cut the line and it falls back to the bottom, it will deteriorate and not be a problem for future divers.

Ty

I use Carter triangle bags, 100 lb each (carry 2). Carter bags over 50 lbs have a dump valve installed. The folks at Carter are really good about working with you to meet your needs. You tell them what you need, they make it on the spot, they also give very good prices direct from the manufacturer. I highly recommend Carter bags. http://www.carterbag.com/

Tom

With a lift bag. You fill it up on the bottom and as it goes to the top air expands and there is a valve that allows the extra pressure to escape. Right?

What do you do with all the anchors you find?

In the world of diving is it adaptable to use a lift bag sending it to the surface to assist you in your ascent to the service. I know that personally I fell more comfortable using a ascent line to control my ascent speed and that safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom