Light Cannon HID Vs. Light Cannon ELED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the tighter beam of the Light Cannon 100 HID. The Aquasun is brighter, but it has a wider beam. It's just my preference.

I do like the durability of the ELED vs the HID. On the other hand, the ELEDs burn hot, and require a heat sink and only produce 825 Lumens when the light is submerged. If you get a chance, try both and choose the one you prefer. Either one would be a good choice.

Ron
What exactly is a heat sink? Is it something else i have to do/buy to use this light?

... and only produce 825 Lumens when the light is submerged...
That's about twice as many lumens as the earlier HID Light Canon

What exactly is a heat sink? Is it something else i have to do/buy to use this light?
The heat sink is the little metal doodad that sticks out the front glass(?) of the eLED Light Canon. It's purpose is to whisk heat away from the LEDs and disperse it in the water (which should act to cool the LED). Heat is the enemy of LEDs, and LEDs can be driven more (i.e., burn brighter) when heat is not a concern. It comes as an integral part of the eLED Light Canon. Without it there's a big hole in the front of your light, which will cool the insides as it floods, which would be very bad

The heat sink is the little thing on the front of the light. The heat sink, which is an integral part of the light, draws heat away from the LED. The lamp module electronics can sense the temperature of the LED and reduce the output of the LED when it gets too hot, preserving the LED. Underwater, the heat sink works more efficiently, allowing the LED to operate at full power.

Ron

That's about twice as many lumens as the earlier HID Light Canon

When considering a light, you need to look at beam width as well as lumens. The best way to decide is to compare the two lights in operation.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll post a photo with both lights on, side by side so you can see the difference between the two.

Ron

When considering a light, you need to look at beam width as well as lumens. The best way to decide is to compare the two lights in operation.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll post a photo with both lights on, side by side so you can see the difference between the two.

Ron
Thank you. I appreciate it.

One thing i dont quite understand is how do you change the bulb on the Eled. Do you have to send it in?

DSC_1690.jpg

The light on the left is the Light Cannon 100 HID, the one on the right is the AquaSun. Notice the tighter beam from the HID Light Cannon. The AquaSun has a higher lumen rating, but the light is spread out. The center of the HID Light Cannon beam is noticeably brighter than the beam from the AquaSun.

Ron

Thank you reo for the picture. That really helps me make my decision.

After looking for awhile for info on the eled's bulb and replacement, I called UK and they said it was guaranteed for 5500 hours and if anything happened before that it was under warranty.

Thank you reo for the picture. That really helps me make my decision.

After looking for awhile for info on the eled's bulb and replacement, I called UK and they said it was guaranteed for 5500 hours and if anything happened before that it was under warranty.

UK's warranty service is top notch. I flooded my Light Cannon a few months ago and had written it off as a lost cause. I had even tossed in the dumpster by my apt complex. I went on a dive with my instructor and told him I had tossed the light in the dumpster. He suggested I retrieve it and send it in, so my second dive of the day was a dumpster dive. I retrieved the light and sent it to UK with a short hand written note explaining what had happened. A few days later, I received a new Light Cannon 100 from them.

I bought my instructor dinner the following week.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom